What to buy?

Options
Hi All
I'm hoping someone can let me know what Tado system to buy for my house as I've become very confused by the info I have read!

The house is a brand new build, and has got a boiler on the ground floor in the utility room, next to a programmer that we currently use to set the times for heating and hot water.

Then there are 2 thermostats controlling the heating temperature in separate zones (upstairs and downstairs). These are both hard wired to the wall.

We also have a hot water cylinder on the first floor in the airing cupboard.

Basically I wanted to replace the current system like for like, but be able to control the heating on my phone and whilst away etc.

My plan was to replace the programmer next to the boiler with the tado wireless box that comes with with the wireless starter kit, and then have one wireless thermostat downstairs and one wired thermostat upstairs (I read you can't have 2 wireless thermostats?) to replace the current thermostats. But tbh I am really not sure what to buy and how it would work!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Marksct
    Marksct
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The boiler is a Logic heat H12.

The thermostats I am not sure about (the brand is therma). The programmer is a model TQX0027.

Thanks
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

The TQX0027 is a 3 channel programmer. Unfortunately this is not good news because Tado do not have a direct replacement. Their equivalent to a programmer has only two channels: HW and CH. It's the same for other smart thermostats - 3 channel programmers are a niche product.

You have two options.

1) Buy two wired thermostats to get smart control of both heating zones. The 3 channel programmer continues to control your hot water. If you're away from home you cannot turn the HW on/off.

2) You employ an electrician to remove the 3 channel programmer and re-wire the system for a wireless receiver (CH & HW), plus a wired thermostat for the second CH zone. It will take a long time to recoup this cost for the sake of having smart control of the HW.

If you go ahead you need one starter kit (for the bridge/hub) and everything else should be an add-on.

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options
    Please post brand & model number for both thermostats and the programmer.
  • wateroakley
    Options
    GrilledCheese is right. However, rewiring a 3 channel programmer is not difficult for a competent sparky. In our use, ROI of the products alone are about 5 months at current energy prices. Adding a sparky for a day, the ROI should be 12 months or less.