Replace Danfoss TP5000 Wired Thermostat with Tado

Options
Our electric central wet system consists of an electric boiler (Heatrae Sadia Amptec C900), a hot water tank (Cyclone CY200), a wired Danfoss TP5000 thermostat and multiple TRVs in each room. I am not able to see any receiver attached to the electric boiler.
Hot water is heated up at specific pre-programmed times (off peak hours with cheaper electricity rates). Not entirely sure how this was programmed.
I am wondering if I could simply replace the existing Danfoss TP5000 thermostat with the wired Tado one and be able to keep the hot water preparation as it is and adjust the heating with Tado.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It’s hard to say without seeing your wiring. The danfoss looks like a simple on/off thermostat so in theory it would be relatively easy to replace it with a Tado wired thermostat for heating, provided it doesn’t act as a controller for your hot water as well.

I would also check compatibility of your electric boiler with tado support. If it acts like a gas boiler I doubt it will be an issue but not totally sure about this.
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the swift response. I have attached a few pictures of the setup which will hopefully give more clarity and allow you to evaluate if a replacement of the thermostat will be possible.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That’a a simple relay thermostat so should be fine to replace with a Tado wired thermostat for heating. The issue you need to check with Tado support is whether Tado is compatible with your electric boiler.

I’m still not clear how your hot water gets heated without a programmer unless the immersion is permanently on. Might be worth getting a professional in to have a look as well.