Wired Starter - dual zone opentherm and valves

Options
Hi folks

I’ve been looking round the forum for help on my specific case before purchase, and I think I’m being confused by some info referring to out-of-date kit.

I’m in a new build with a combi boiler and dual zone heating. Ideally I want to use 2 wired Tado thermostats to replace the existing dumb ones, TRVs in each room aaand take advantage of opentherm. Firstly, is this possible, and secondly, do you reckon it’s worth the hassle for the cost savings it would provide?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The easiest way would be to remove your zone valves altogether and just use an eu wireless receiver, together with a wireless temp sensor and your trvs.

It might be possible to use Opentherm on a multi zone house but would require a wired thermostat/eu wireless receiver to the boiler on a digital connection and then two wired thermostats to control the zone valves. Even then I’m not sure what you would set as the zone controller so the trvs in both zones could call for heat.

You will get some cost savings with using Tado on a relay connection, where it cycles the boiler to simulate modulation, but probably not as much as by using a digital connection.