Installation replacing 3 channel controller

Options

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

I have a new build property with a Logic H24 boiler in the garage and what appears to be a manual controller (for Frost?) next to it. The opentherm pins appear to be bridged together and on the left hand side a single black cable goes into SL1 IN alongside the usual Earth / Neutral / Live cables.

In the cupboard upstairs i've got a controller which is a TQX0027 (ES3247B clone) which is a 3 channel programmer for the hot water cylinder (next to the controller) and 2 zone central heating.

For the room thermostats (hallway and master bedroom) i've got ThermaQ TQX0073 - these don't seem to be programmeable but just let you set the desired temp.

The kit i've got from Tado is a wireless receiver (programmer) and a wireless thermostat.

Tado tell me the TQX0027 isn't compatible presumably because it's 3 channel and what i can see online is that the current programmer will need to stay to control the hot water (which is fine) and the CH to be set to be constant to allow Tado to control it.

The question is, the wireless receiver how does that connect to the current controller? Am i missing some other bit of kit? I know i'll need another room controller for the other zone but i'm at a loss as to how to get the wireless receiver to take over the heating programming and how that interfaces with the current controller.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

As @johnnyp78 says:

Best to just replace your wired thermostats.

Afterwards, you can even add tado smart thermostats and they can send a heat request to the boiler via the tado thermostats (wall).

You just leave the 2 heating zones on the triple channel programmer to "always ON", that way, tado has full control over the heating.

Hot water control just stays on the programmer.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The simplest way to do it would be to use two Tado wired thermostats to replace your current two thermostats, leave the current programmer set to always on for CH and leave it to control the hot water.
  • Would that allow me to control the TRVs too? I've seen some others having managed to control HW using an extension too?

But either way it looks like i need to swap the wireless kit for the wired kit?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hot water control would require the wireless receiver and replacing the programmer, and also some rewiring because the Tado devices can’t support three channels. You could then use the wireless receiver to control the hot water and one zone valve, and the wired thermostat to control the other zone valve.

Every Tado device is controlled via the bridge which connects to its servers, the devices don’t control each other.
  • so for instance you couldn't have a wireless receiver to control CH 1 / CH 2 for central heating and an extension to control HW?

Or would it be a case of having to change the wiring slightly so that CH 1 / CH2 go to the wireless tado receiver ( i currently have) and a seperate single channel programmer for the hot water (not via tado?) or use the 3ch programmer i have now, disconnect the CH1 / CH2 and just leave the HW connected?

Would need a junction box to provide power to both but wonder if this would work also?

Just trying to think of options which dont involve having to go out and replace the tado kit to wired first as i bought it nearly 12 months ago in prep for a new house and would have thought it would have been compatible...

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The wireless receiver can’t do ch1/ ch2, it can only do one ch channel and hot water. If you’re going to carry on controlling hot water with your current programmer, don’t disconnect the ch, leave it to always on and use two wired thermostats.

A junction box would def be the way to go if you’re willing to rewire. All you’d need then would be another wired thermostat.
  • Cheers guys, i've ordered the wired starter kit and an addon wired thermostat - hopefully that will solve the problem

• elainede
    Options
    Hi everyone just one question here. Would the wired starter kit v3 + hot water solve the problem?
  • CptDarling
    edited January 5
    Options
    Hi all,
    I’ve got the same setup, new build with ch1/ch2 + hot water.
    The wiring looks identical to fit the Tado receiver (-ch2).
    I’ve order a wired and wireless controller - have ch1 / ch2 linked + hw connected to receiver but nothing works not even hw which is odd
    I’ve also tried ch1 + hw on receiver but still nothing
    Old ch2 thermostat is connected to wired thermostat.
    All lights are on.

Would have thought this should work? (As some of the comments suggest)
    I left everything to constant on the old tqx0027