w.Intercom = i;Change wireless to wired sensor and get Opentherm function? — tado° Community

Change wireless to wired sensor and get Opentherm function?

Hi Folks,

I bought the wireless TADO version a year ago and it's been working fine with my Vaillant combi boiler.  

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tado-v3-wireless-heating-hot-water-smart-thermostat-starter-kit/141kt

If I replace the wireless temperature sensor with this black wired one below, does that get me Opentherm?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tado-black-edition-wired-heating-smart-thermostat/186kg

Thank you  

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can either use that or a wired thermostat (or source a second hand extension kit).

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    No, the wireless temperature sensor has nothing to do with Opentherm, it’s the wireless receiver. UK models don’t have digital connections, EU models (aka wireless receiver for combis) do.

Check that your boiler supports Opentherm/ ebus with Tado first.
  • Thanks, johnnyp78

Got this reply from Vaillant UK, rather than Tado, when i was trying to find out more about Opentherm.

Q. Does the vaillant ecotec pro 28 combi support opentherm?

A. Good afternoon, 

Vaillant boilers do not support Opentherm, we use the eBUS language to enable our products to communicate with each other to enable precise, efficient heating control. 

Kind regards, 

Vaillant.

• In other words “we don’t want to make it easy for third party devices like Tado to connect to our boilers when we have our own range of programmers.”

check with Tado that it can support that boiler’s ebus, it probably can but there’s a chance it might not.
  • Yes supports ebus. Search vaillant on here for experiences. I assume you will use the wireless temp sensor for a thermostat.

• Sorry @andyfff i just realised I totally misread what you wrote! Yes the wired thermostat supports Opentherm, you’re fine to use that wired into the boiler. As Hunter said you can then add a wireless temp sensor for a thermostat.
  • Hi Folks,

No need to apologieseJohnnyp78 i appreciate the time you and Hunter have taken to help me.

I've posted my setup pic above.

Wireless Temp Sensor is in the hall (2 rads in hall are non trvs, rest of flat is TADO trvs)

Wireless Receiver in the kitchen with the combi boiler.

I'm fairly sure the original wires are behind the wireless temp sensor in the hall. Noticed them when the electrician installed Tado system a year ago (local firm £50 quid).

So, do I just buy this wired Amazon offer (below) and replace the wireless temp sensor?

If so, I'd probably again get an electrician to do this unless it's really simple.

tado° Wired Smart Thermostat - WiFi Add-On Thermostat For Multizone Control, Digital Heating Management, Easy Installation, Save Heating Energy And Costs - Replacement Of Existing Wired Thermostats : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

if that's correct you guys are suggesting i've still to do something with my wireless temp sensor?

I assumed it would now be spare.

Thanks

• Hunter
    edited November 2022

Took this from a recent thread by @Mashster

Thank you for contacting us.

In September 2020, we launched the Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat V3+ [Incl. Programmer with Hot Water Control], which we designed specifically for the UK market. Because most boilers in the UK are system boilers (S-plan/Y-plan), the kit only supports relay (on/off) connections.

This means, the device does not support digital communication (e.g. eBUS) and can’t be used with a digital combi boiler. 

We recommend that you install the Wireless Receiver, included in your Starter Kit, to the relay connection of your boiler. You can find tailored step-by-step instructions in the tado° app.

If you want to control your combi boiler digitally anyway, you’ll need to return your Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat V3+ [Incl. Programmer with Hot Water Control] to the point of sale and buy one of the following combinations:

• 1x Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ EUavailable in the tado° Professional Shop. The Wireless Receiver included in the Kit comes with a pre-wired power supply with an EU plug. This must be replaced with a UK plug by a local engineer. They can also help you install your devices. If you feel confident to do it yourself, you can find the installation instructions in the tado° app.
    • 1x Starter Kit - Wired Smart Thermostat V3+ and 1x Add-on - Wireless Temperature Sensor. Please bear in mind that we don’t provide installation instructions for this specific setup. We recommend that you ask a local heating engineer to wire your devices correctly for you. They can refer to our Manual for Professional Installers. Also, make sure you place your Smart Thermostat in the same room as your Wireless Temperature Sensor in the tado° app. This will prevent double temperature measurement.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    You will need to unwire the wireless receiver and reinstate the wires behind the wireless temp sensor, wiring them into the thermostat instead. It is a simple install - just + and - on the wired thermostat to the digital connections on your boiler. If you’re opening up the boiler you should have gas safe certification so best to get a pro to do it.

The wireless temp sensor is then free to put where you want.
  • Thanks folks

Got this back from Tado (I emailed them at the start of this chat)

Thank you for the reply.

This is the EAN number for the add-on EU Wireless Receiver: 4260328611715

The SKU number that you sent (V3P-EK01-TC-ML-00) is the number for the tado° Extension Kit. This device has been replaced by our Wireless Receiver and discontinued so we are no longer selling it. However, you can purchase it if you find it (second hand) on eBay or other platforms. The Extension Kit is also capable of modulating your boiler.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

• Guys to recap above I got an electrician to install my Tado system a year ago.
    Ive now bought the EU Wireless Receiver. Would it be best to get an electrician (local guy) or a gas engineer (british gas) to install it?
    Is it just a straight swap with my UK Wireless Reciever or is there more to it?
    Really dont fancy doing it myself!
    Thanks again for all the help on this.
    Be glad when this is over 👍
  • Get someone who understands what ebus is, otherwise they’ll just install it on relay. + and - connections on the extension kit to the ebus connections on the boiler. You may need a power line as well, depending on the ebus version. You might need to configure the extension kit to your boiler’s ebus, instructions below.

https://cdn.brandfolder.io/607DGEMS/as/bxgtx5kghgjrbcs4m68kqch/Extension_Kit_Manual_-_Low_Voltage_Digital_Installations.pdf