27 degrees in winter. Heating won't turn off!

Options
Mat1111
Mat1111
edited November 2022 in General Questions & Topics

We have 2 bedrooms with Smart Radiator TRVs and the Wiresless reciever+Wireless thermostat connected directly to our Zone Valve+UFH downstairs.

Everything was working fine a little while ago but now the upstairs TRVs are switching on the UFH and heating the downstairs uncontrollably. The Wireless thermostat downstairs will not turn off the downstairs zone valve as expected.

On Monday it heated the room to 27 degrees at 1am in the morning. I can't really afford that!

When used on it's own the downstairs Thermostat can turn the boiler on and off as expected.

Any idea what is going on?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    What is your upstairs zone valve connected to?
  • Mat1111
    Options

We don't have an upstairs zone valve.

We have 1 zone valve for the downstairs UFH and 2 Smart TRVs for the upstairs radiators. I was under the impression the smart TRVs could call for heat independently?

My setup must be wrong..

What do I need to allow my Smart TRVs to call for heat independently of the UFH downstairs?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    What was your original set up before the Tado devices were installed? And does the wireless thermostat have a zone controller set?
  • Mat1111
    Options

It was a new installation so nothing previous..

Boiler - splits into two loops

Downstairs - Zone Valve - UFH

Upstairs - No zone valve - 2x Radiators with Smart TRVs

Wireless receiver is downstairs. One wireless temp sensor is downstairs and one is in one of the upstairs room.

Do I need 2 zone controllers for this setup?

• Mat1111
    Options

Bump in case anyone has an answer!

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

You will need two wired devices for your setup, but It looks like you only have the one.

The Wireless Receiver needs to be wired directly to the boiler and it will turn on the boiler when any device calls for heat. Plus, you need a Wired Thermostat connected to the motorised valve. When the wired thermostat is off the smart TRVs can heat the radiators without heating the UFH.

• Mat1111
    Options

Thanks so much!

I have a spare temperature sensor. Can I just install the wired thermostat right next to the motorised valve but use the temperature sensor to control it?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You can put the wireless temp sensor in the same room in the app as the wired thermostat and make the wts the measuring device, which will make it the device that calls for heat in that room.