Existing underfloor heating thermostats cannot call for hot water from boiler!

Options

I have 4 thermostats in my home. 1 in the main living area upstairs connected to an underfloor heating manifold and 3 dial thermostats in individual rooms downstairs connected to a separate underfloor heating manifold.

The the main area thermostat controls the upstairs underfloor heating flow, and the three room thermostats downstairs control the downstairs underfloor heating flow. HOWEVER, only the main area thermostat can call for hot water from the boiler. The downstairs thermostats are incorrectly/were never wired to the boiler and are unable to talk to the boiler on their own. They can only control the UFH flow downstairs.

This means that the downstairs rooms can only heat if the main area is also calling for heat as well. This has caused very uneven heating throughout the home.

According to an electrician and underfloor heating engineer I've spoke to, this will be very complicated and expensive to fix.

Is there a solution I can easily implement with Tado? If I replace the downstairs dials with wired thermostats will they be able to signal for heat through the internet bridge to the main thermostat for hot water without turning on the main room heating as well?

I don't think the solution is as simple as getting a wireless temp sensor downstairs because I don't want the ufh pump to be running all the time.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Good question. There’s a chance this would work if you had a device, either a wired thermostat or wireless receiver connected to the boiler and wired thermostats connected to the downstairs thermostats.

@GrilledCheese2 might have a clearer idea.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

It sounds like you already have control of the manifold actuators through the thermostats, so not sure why it would be complicated and expensive to fix the missing link to the boiler. Even if you cannot run a wire from the downstairs manifold to the boiler there are relatively cheap wireless solutions that can be used.

Difficult to say if you can use Tado to solve the issue. Really need a wiring diagram of the current setup, but post some additional pictures of the manifolds, actuators and any wiring. There might be something obvious.