When are Tado going to make early start learn

Options
Tado early start is not intelligent in that it doesn’t learn, when is this going to be made fit for purpose. Very disappointed with it.

Best Answers

• limeyard
    limeyard
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi John,

I have wired stats (no stvs) and my starts have moved forward as the weather has got colder in recent days/weeks, so I assumed that it was working OK. Not a big deal, though.

• DM932187
    DM932187 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@limeyard from my experience, that's all Early Start does. As @John_Gosnell points out, it doesn't learn, or at least my 10 years with tado doesn't suggest it does.

It basically takes the internet weather data and moves the start point forward or back. Tado support can change the start point to better reflect your system response times (assuming you can reach them - they're like The A Team, it seems), but I've seen nothing to suggest it learns the characteristics of your property.

It's pretty rubbish, TBH, particularly if (like me) you have weather compensation, which also adjusts the boiler flow temperature based on the actual weather. Think Early Start starting earlier because it's forecast to be cold, and then my boiler also running hotter because it is cold. Heats up too fast. Then the opposite - later start, lower temp from the boiler = heats up too slow.

Better to programme a schedule with gradual increases in temperature that reflect how fast your heating responds.

Answers

• Thanks for that both of you. I've only Tado smart rad stats and their early start is way too early, I've had to adjust my schedule as suggested by @limeyard as a workaround. Shame, a it's a missed opportunity for the being a major benefit of their smart rad stats.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Maybe tado° will get "Early Start" working properly on their next release of devices.......who knows ??🤔

• BOG73
    Options

Maibe Netatmo modulating thermostat(new release 2021) is learning better,as is a PID controller same as Tado. Anybody got any info about this? I am stuffed with Tado issues and looking for a replacement.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t know much about netatmo but I doubt in terms of modulation it works any differently from Tado. May have advantages like range extenders though, I’m not sure.
  • maurello
    Options

I just installed 8 Tado thermostats with underfloor heating. Early start (just like geofencing) is not working properly. Underfloor heating requires a lot of time to increase the temperature since the water under the floor circulates at 25-30C.

My expectation was that early start functionality would learn the characteristics of my property, factor in the weather impact, and calculate how early the start should be. Since I work with machine learning, it does not sound impossible at all... And certainly it would not require new hardware, it would be a pure software calculation in the cloud based on the data collected.

Story short, it seems Tado at the moment does not have a very sophisticated early start functionality. This demands for me to set a relatively high night temperature, otherwise I would never be able to get the set day temperature on time.

• limeyard
    Options

Gosh! 25-30C. What with that and the thermal mass, I imagine tado would need to have access to long-term weather forecasts. How long did commissioning take? Did you start commissioning in the winter, or the summer? 😉