Smart Thermostat broken and no hot water

Options

Hi. I have a smart thermostat and several tado trvs. All have been working well. I mainly use the smart thermostat to control the hot water but it is also in a bathroom that does not have a tado trv to keep the bathroom warm when all other rooms are off.

The smart thermostat has stopped working and we have had no hot water. I think I have temporarily fixed this by having it so the receiver light is permanently on (am waiting to see but water is now Luke warm!).

Obviously I want to permanently sort this problem. Initially I thought I would buy a new wireless smart thermostat but you don’t seem to be able to buy one on its own without a whole starter kit.

So I suppose my questions are:

Can I buy a smart wireless thermostat on its own? If not then do I need one to control the hot water or is there another way?

Could I buy a wireless temperature sensor to control the hot water (is it the same as a smart thermostat).

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Are you aware you can set the hot water from the app as well? If you’ve got a combi boiler you should be able to control the temperature from the front panel too.

Both smart thermostats and wireless temperature sensors are available to buy separately. If you don’t need a physical connection, a wireless temp sensor should be fine.
  • jec3871
    Options

Thanks for your help. This is what I can currently see. I do not have a combo boiler I have a condenser and a water tank. So are you saying that if I buy the cheaper wireless temperature sensor I will have hot water control again from the app? I seem to be able to but a temp sensor from anywhere but can't find a smart thermostat on its own. Do you have an example on a link please?

• jec3871
    Options

Thanks. So can I use either of these help run hot water?

https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/wireless-temperature-sensor - even though this one says it is wired?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, the smart thermostats can be used wired or wirelessly. Wireless temp sensors are wireless only. They’re currently on sale at Amazon.
  • Nihakue
    Options
    Does anyone know why a thermostat is required to set the hot water? Why can't the app communicate with the bridge directly to the receiver? Why on earth does the thermostat need to be involved at all? It's this definitely the case?
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

@Nihakue We always control the CH and HW from the App. Assuming a typical S-Plan or Y-Plan heating system, you would typically replace the CH & HW timer/programmer with a receiver from the wireless starter kit.

If the internet goes off-line, there are ways to control the CH and HW (ON or OFF) from the installed devices.

• Nihakue
    Options

What I mean is, if I have a App → Wireless Thermostat (The square one that says 'hi!') → Wireless Reciever (attached to my boiler) then I can control hot water in the app fine

If the Wireless Thermostat goes offline or runs out of batteries, I can no longer control my hot water. I don't understand why this is the case. Why can I not send commands from to app via the wireless bridge to the wireless receiver?