One Flame - Cold Rad

Options

Lounge Room. One Rad in Bay window and a smaller rad on adjacent wall with its valve a couple of feet from lounge door. Tado wall stat (measuring device) on wall opposite to smaller rad.

When boiler on one flame, Bay window rad still providing heat but smaller rad is cold. It is a fairly recent change but nevertheless is this just a balance issue and needs the Bay rad throttling down a tad please?

Comments

• DM932187
    Options
    Sounds like it is, yes.
  • wateroakley
    Options
    Could also be a seized trv valve. Check that the pin moves down and up.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks chaps - not a seized valve - checked that and moving freely. Now done more than a full turn on the lock shield of the Bay Rad (end of line) with no effect.. Doing bit at a time - slow process and manifests itself mostly when Lounge is sole room calling for heat.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

OK I am stumped! I now have the Bay Rad Lock shield within a nad's of complete closure. Fired up the system, reached target temperature; went to 'one flame'; 2nd rad cold quite quickly (door in use); Bay rad still giving fair amount of heat!! Lounge is only room requiring heat and I suspect with that setting on the Bay rad I might have issues once other rooms come into play.

Any other ideas please?

• DM932187
    Options
    Have you tried opening the lock shield on the cold rad? Bled it?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yep thanks - fully open and no air.

I am tending now towards the conclusion that it could be a tado change! I have noticed twice now that on 1 flame the boiler (and pump) is doing nothing for a significant period and the boiler temperature reduces to 44c. That is sufficient time, given the rad's position and its reduced mass of water (in comparison) for a difference in temperature to occur. Follow that with a maintenance heat from the boiler (during which it doesn't equalize) and with compounding we finish up with the 15c difference in temperature that eventually occurs.

I know almost certainly that this did not happen last year but it's so annoying as we can feel the difference when the 'drop' occurs.

• @samd i think i have something similar, but as i have tado only recent i don't know if this is new or not.

Check the picture below, i have all tado's in one room calibrated to the same element. and somehow some of the tado ar open others ar closed (or semi open) as water goes the easy way this means only the 2 tado's on the left will give heat and the others are closed or have real low flow.....

My conclusion is that there is a bug somehow which causes the tado's to not open sufficiently. i'm already in contact with tado helpdesk (Netherlands) but the process is really slow for now.

When working from home i can easily see if they respond at the same moment and they seem to react at the same moment only not opening up in the same way.

Hope the story above is clear and the photo also (i'm not native english.. :-()

Did you speadk to tado support on this topic and if so do you have some feedbacks from them how to solve this matter?