How do I stop hot water coming on with heating?

Options
I have a gravity fed system with hot water tank and heat only boiler. When the heating comes on since switching to the tado, the hot water comes on with it. When the heating is off I can have it hot water only. But I can’t seem to get central heating only. Is this a problem with my wiring to the tado? The old controller I could have them both independently on/off. Please advise

Answers

• XKRMonkey
    Options

Sounds like you are activating the hot water solenoid when Tado makes heating demand - most likely a wiring error. Double check the wiring first, or get a pro to validate things.

• wateroakley
    Options

For independent gravity hot water, do you have a C-plan with a zone valve on the gravity HW return? Or perhaps a a wax thermostatic return valve? Otherwise it’s possibly a faulty zone valve/motor or wiring problem? If in doubt, engage a professional.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Is there confusion between gravity circulation and gravity fed? Gravity circulation requires the HW to be on whenever CH is selected. The water circulation between cylinder and boiler relies on cold water being heavier than hot water. This setup is redundant as it has been replaced by fully pumped S or Y plan. Gravity fed refers to loft tanks and is irrelevant to the operation of the wireless receiver.

• paul_ch
    Options

After installation I get a message about my system being 'gravity fed' (It is Y-plan) and that it needs a special 'driver' installing to ensure HW & CH always come on together.

But the system can have CH/HW independently and did with the old controller. I'm confused!