Tado Wifi Mesh

Options

I'm new to Tado bear with me. I recently tried to get a Tado system with a 21 smart radiator Thermostats across 12 rooms/zones in my house. It failed upon set up as the bridge could not reach the around the house due to its reach/size of the house. The installer contacted Tado and was told a new Mesh version were all the tado devices will speak to each other and via its own wifi mesh (like my Sonos sound system and my Hue Lights system), BUT, this wasn't coming out till early 2024. I have still had the Tado system installed and so far I hooked up 4 smart radiator thermostats to the radiators that the bridge can reach and I have checked that I can reach at least another 4 radiators so was contemplating buying another 4 smart radiator thermostats. HOWEVER, does anyone know if the current smart radiator thermostats will be compatible with any new Tado mesh system I mentioned earlier or will I have to replace all of my smart radiator thermostats when the new mesh version comes out.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It’s the first I’ve heard of it. Presumably this will be when Tado brings out matter (or possibly thread) compatible trvs. Can’t see any way they’ll be compatible with existing models but who knows.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

Very doubtful as the devices would require a hardware change. Even if they decide to release a new backwards compatible hub, users will still have issues between the child devices and the hub.

Sample scenario: Cloud <-> Hub (Thread / Matter / 6LoWPAN*) <-> existing child devices (6LoWPAN only)

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @Sean27
    @johnnyp78 is absolutely correct.....it seems very unlikely that the current range of SRT's etc will be compatible with any new release of tado° devices.
    Plus.... do not expect to be updated on the potential release date / configuration of these "new" devices.....because tado° is not at all good at keeping their customers informed about upcoming system changes.
  • ldoodle
    Options

"The installer contacted Tado and was told a new Mesh version were all the tado devices will speak to each other and via its own wifi mesh"

Will that even be doable? My batteries last on average 2 years of occasional use only. Presumably to participate in a mesh, they'll need to be on 24x7, so 2 years battery life for me might become 2 weeks!

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

There are already suitable protocols that tado° can consider. Zigbee has a mesh network topology with low cost, multi hope data transmission and is power effective. Thread that tado° is already working on may also work. I'm not sure about the range, but that's something they need to figure out.

• ldoodle
    Options

I would have thought making the Bridge meshable would be more sensible given they don't have to outsource to another company's hardware/tech.

• davidlyall
    Options
    The joke of this is that the 6LoWPAN standard that Tado currently uses already supports mesh networking so in theory it could just be a firmware upgrade for existing hardware. And, since they're already communicating back to the bridge all the time, it shouldn't increase battery drain ...

When i bought my tado kit, mesh was even mentioned on the product specs which I assume was a mistake but it certainly would have caught the attention of some customers
  • Moved house. Took Tado with me but now having the issues stated here and in. Other threads. Do hope that they implement mesh with 6LoWPAN which would save me having to replace my system.
  • timjervis
    Options

Same here - new house (to me), crippled traditional heating system, trying to install Tado°, running into the capacity limits and hoping a mesh solution is offered soon.