Can Tado smart radiator valves be used with Drayton auto-balancing TRV4 bodies ?

Options

I need to replace the valve bodies on some of my rads anyway as they are a weird 27mm size not covered by any adaptor.

I can replace the valves with standard TRV4's or would "TRV4 auto-balancing" valves be beneficial.

Link here - Auto-balancing TRV4 - angled 15mm | Drayton Controls : Heating controls, TRVs and thermostats

Video of it in detail - (111) FB Live Training - Our new Auto Balancing TRV - YouTube

I'm wondering if:

1) Auto-balancing would be beneficial as these rads have had a bit of a balancing problem

2) It might help with temp overshoot? These are cast-iron rads and tend to do that anyway.

3) Is the auto-balancing feature completely negated by not using the matching drayton thermostatic head ?

Answers

• Gimbert
    Options

As these are meant to save additional energy by increasing the amount of time that the return temperature is below the dew point and most people by tado for the energy saving it would make sense to support these

• GrayDav4276
    Options

I suspect that these TRV's would be better when incorporated with a non tado heating system.......

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

There is nothing really to support! They make 2 types of self-balancing, the earlier model being the RT414 which is on tado's list. They are nothing more than a device which limits the amount of flow determined by the capacity of the rad which is a sensible way of balancing especially when not all rads are on at the same time. If you are going for them get the valve only not the full gubbins.