Oil Boiler with OT

Options
I am currently waiting for a quote to install new oil boiler ( no gas available here) has anyone had experience of EOGB Sapphire modulating boiler with OT with Tado control? I currently have Tado controlling my existing non modulating boiler.

Thanks

Comments

• chatmandu
    Options

No, but please report back on how you get on. My father has an extremely old Vaillant oil boiler and I think he'd really benefit from an upgrade to a modern condensing modulating boiler.

• allias3g
    Options
    Check if you that boiler has OT but as I was let to believe all new boilers comes with OT or some kind protocol to modulate.
    Second main thing: is your tado unit wired or wireless? If wireless check if has Digital port on it to make the most use of OPENTHERM.
    You would want to specify to installer for him to set it for OT while swapping boiler.
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

It’s not accurate to say all boilers come with the ability to modulate. Add the word ‘gas’ and you might be on track. The majority of oil boilers do not have any ability to modulate.

• stevieg1
    Options
    The Sapphire boiler by EOGB is a modulating OIL boiler, look it up. My installer has been to their factory on a 4 day course and his electrician is up to speed on wiring OT. My only concern is Tado ability to control but EOGB say although they haven’t run their boiler with Tado control they see no reason why it shouldn’t work, my installer is currently investigating. I have full confidence in my installer.
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed. I wasn’t addressing you.

• allias3g
    Options
    Thanks Montage. 😊
    Good to know 👍
  • stevieg1
    Options
    I have contacted Tado installation support and they say they do not support OT on a system/regular boiler but they can configure my account at their end to enable me to test if OT works. Can anyone tell me what they do their end?
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

They just reconfigure your Tado kit to use OT. Presumably you have a wired stat. You could probably do it.

• it may or may not work - I used the Pro Tado app to reset mine to OT and whilst it will make the boiler do all the necessary it won't allow you to set eg highest flow temp as that's all manually controlled, so I reverted mine back to EMS Bus in stead as my boiler prefers that

• stevieg1
    Options
    Thank you @Montage and @hipponax1973 will talk it over with my installer to get his take on it.
  • stevieg1
    Options
    I have finally received my installers quote for the new boiler and expressed my concerns as to whether Tado is capable of controlling the new boiler and he seems to think all will be well. The new boiler will be a “Heat only boiler on an s-plan system” any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
  • Montage
    Options

As they said previously, Tado don't support OT on this type of boiler.

• EN746_2
    Options

A little late but interested if you installed this. EPH will work with the Sapphire on OT but unfortunately not Tado.