Can I turn off my boiler with Tado?

Options
Most of my radiators have Tado thermostats attached but I have a few that don't. One bedroom doesn't have a WiFi signal so I can't use a thermostat there. I have another 3 radiators that don't have thermostatic controls on them. All four of these radiators are on all the time because my Tado app controls individual radiator thermostats and not my boiler. Is there a way for me to use Tado to control my boiler so that I can set these radiators to go off at night? I no longer have a control panel for my boiler as it was replaced with the Tado system so I can't adjust the times that way.
Bot · Just now.

Best Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, if there’s a Tado device linked to the boiler, it should be turning it off when the target temperature in the rooms with Tado trvs is reached.

It sounds like whoever installed the Tado has wired it incorrectly so the boiler’s always on. Your gas bill must be astronomical if the boiler’s on 24/7. I’d get a professional in to sort it as soon as you can.

Assuming you get the system sorted, you don’t need to do anything in the summer. Unless all your rooms are set to something incredibly high like 25c, the weather will make the house warmer so the rooms will already be at target temperature and the Tado trvs won’t call for heat.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    They don’t I’m afraid. Best to ask around and try to find someone who’s familiar to with the system.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    This doesn’t make sense. The app doesn’t control individual devices, it controls the temperature of rooms. Whatever Tado device you have connected to the boiler will be turning it on when there’s a demand for heat from one of your rooms with Tado trvs.

Presumably the radiators that don’t have Tado trvs are on because your Tado trvs are calling for heat from the boiler.

So either change your schedule on the rooms with Tado trvs so they’re not calling for heat from the boiler, put manual trvs on the radiators without Tado trvs and turn them down, or put Tado trvs on the radiators without them and set them to a low temperature.

Tado doesn’t use Wi-Fi so there may not be a communication issue. All devices need to be in range of the bridge.
  • So if all my Tado radiators are set to go off during the night, all the radiators without Tado controls also shouldn't go on? I realise these are probably stupid questions but I have no idea how any of this works. The radiator that has a TRV (not a smart one) is on all the time (unless we turn the TRV off), regardless of the times set on Tado. Before we had Tado, all the radiators went on and off according to the times set in the boiler. I just don't really get what I'm meant to do with the non Tado radiators. When I no longer want my heating on in the summer, do I just turn all the non Tado TRVs down to frost protection instead of doing what I used to do, which was turn the heating off for the whole house at the boiler control?panel.
  • That's really helpful! I wish I'd asked this ages ago! Do Tado have recommended installers? I've checked their website and can't see anything. We got a heating engineer out to install it the first time but it sounds like he didn't really know what he was doing.