Drayton Auto Balancing Valves

Options

Both types of these valves are supported by tado according to their fitment list (no adapters needed) but just wondered if we have any early adopters on here or anyone reviewed and dismissed them. Body only kits are available about £25 in UK.

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

I am watching with interest the other open thread on balancing but would welcome some general thoughts on this particular issue.

Do I have this wrong?? We are retired so spend a fair amount of daytime hours at home especially at this time of year and that must also be the case for many others such as home-workers, parents with pre-school children etc and, for us, that means one of the many benefits of smart systems is the ability to feed heat only to those rooms in current use. Balanced system in play? Not a bit of it, I suspect.

Surely if these auto-balancing valves work as claimed, they are ideal for smart systems in that regardless of the combination of rads in use, each will get its correct 'share' in accordance with its size/rating meaning a balanced system regardless? Do I have this right??

The only time all our rads are in use at the same time is for pre-season check!

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

It’s only a benefit to cut heat to rooms where it’s achieving something useful. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

What is the claim about how they work? If they are a pressure-independent preset valve, why can’t some of them hog the heat in a system where some emitters have be closed off from the circuit?

I’m assuming some effective modulation is occurring and that the circulator is variable speed.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@Montage

1. Of course and I save significantly (proven) through my routines.
    2. They work, inter alia, by having a variable inlet aperture (and fully open lockshield) which is set in a position to match the cubic capacity of the rad. It's this that has the potential for balance regardless of the make-up of the sub-set of rads deployed.
    3. Sorry not understood.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not a advocate cos I don't know enough about them hence my opening this subject to get response and differing views.