Help with setup for a Worcester Greenstar 38CDI Classic with pre-existing wireless thermostat

Options

I'm a bit stuck and can't find the answer readily on these forums (perhaps down to my own searching and comprehension). Not particularly technical either so any advice would be appreciated. We've moved into a new house recently, and would love Tado system with TRVs on most radiators.

What we have:

• Worcester Greenstar 38CDI Classic
  • DT10RF receiver and wireless thermostat

What we want

• Tado system with Modulation, not just relay/on-off automation.
  • TRVs in most rooms.

Since the setup is wireless at the moment, I thought buying the TADO wireless starter kit would be the best way to start. But this appears not to support modulation. I think don't think Worcester Bosch use opentherm, rather EMS (their own version).

If I bought the wireless kit, am I right in thinking I'd be stuck with a relay/on-off solution when the thermostat(s) call the boiler for heat?

If so, some googling shows I might need to get the European wireless starter kit, or an extension kit. This is where I'm a bit uncomfortable - I assume I'd have to install that onto the boiler. My boiler's in a kitchen cupboard so not entirely sure I'd have anywhere to plug it in without it being a bit unsightly. I've made some assumptions here? Is this right? Is the installation of an extension kit to a boiler feasible for an everyman like me?

The electrics don't look fully removed or capped off where the thermostat sits in the hallway. Not great in it's own right, but might I be better just asking an electrician just to create a 'wired' system again so that I can go with Tado's wired kit (which I understand does support modulation)?

Or would I be better just getting the Worcester Bosch easycontrol equivalent?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the first or last to be in this situation, particularly since I have a relatively common boiler.

Thanks

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Installing a wireless receiver/extension kit/wired thermostat with opentherm should be totally feasible. It’s just two wires and a power source. The app will give you instructions. However in the UK you should be gas safe registered to remove the boiler cover.

You already have a wireless receiver installed, which will need to either be taken out of circuit or left to always on.