Radiator Valve Servicing

Options

I have 20 Tado radiator valves which were first installed in Summer 2018. Since then I have had to replace 4 of the valves when they stopped working for one reason or another. At £70 each this is expensive.

Is there any way to service valves that start to become unreliable. For example, is it worth spraying the plunger with silicone lubricant. I have a feeling that the plungers may get stuck after some use.

Does anyone have ideas on how to revive a valve. I have spent many hours replacing batteries etc, so I am looking for an idea beyond the usual "turn it off and back on again" advice.

Perhaps the valves have a certain working life. I have not seen this written anywhere but if they do, replacing 20 valves at £70 each is a big ask.

Thanks for any advice.

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

@IanTaylor we only started in February 2022. For us, the mean annual kWh saving for every SRT is 1,000 kWh compared to the four previous years. That’s a saving of £100 a year for every SRT.

Costing less than £50 each, a 20% annual failure rate of an electro-mechanical device is not unreasonable. The investment case says we need to budget £10 a year for replacement of a SRT. Compared to the 2023 energy cost, that’s not a big financial ask, IMO.

• wateroakley
    Options

@GrayDav4276 that’s the savings we have made since buying the 1960s four bed detached castle, 180 sqm. 2009 EPC was c**p. I’ll post graphs of our last four year annual usage if that helps. When we moved in, hot air heating and HW was circa annual 50,000 kWh. £350 a month, ouch! The replacement wet system in 2011 went down to circa 29,500 kWh. Four months of Manual control in 2021/22 saved 10%. Heat geek room control with Tado in 2022 has pushed us down nearly 40% to 17,800 kWh.