Radiator thermostats

Options
Will it cost me more money having individual Tado stats on my 4 bedroom radiators set to 18 degrees in the night, where each radiator will call for heat at seperate times and therefore my boiler would be running a lot of the time. Or would it be cheaper to use normal stats and use my boiler to call for heat say for 2-3 hours spread out through the night so each radiator gets hot every time my boiler runs

Answers

• Montage
    Options

It's good that you are asking the question. There is no single answer to it.

Have a look at Heat Geek and you'll see a view that's against zoning.

My preference is using good old standard TRVs to limit heat to bedrooms. I can see the use for SRT in district heating or commercial, but I'm less convinced for a standard UK home. They work or some and merely create work and cost for others.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

That’s a good question Ryan.

No firm info to say one setup or the other is better. It took us nearly 12 months to work out what has worked well for us, by season.

I’m not convinced by the YouTube heat geek for everyone. The best advice is to ‘suck it and see’.

We aim zoning at three basic ‘use’ zones (north wing for am/afternoon, south wing for evening, bedrooms for late evening and early am) and do not call for heat overnight, the bedrooms cool down until the early morning schedule kicks in.

Our rellie keeps their children’s rooms at 18 deg C overnight.

In theory, a modern boiler should wind back the boiler heat output (reduce energy bypass and gas usage) accordingly.

Our rellie found that the battery on one bedroom SRT was consumed much quicker than we do for the same SRT that is now on our kitchen rad.

With user control and room temperature flexibility of the zones, our current gas usage is less than 70% of pre-Tado use. No promises that you get the same.

I would be really interested in your experience.

kr, H

• Ramzez
    Options
    I think it really depends on how well your house insulated in each room as well. Past week what I have seen is that sometimes at 18c at night the hearing would be fully off as all rooms will keep the heat till the morning @wateroakley says. But yesterday and today when it was about -1/0 it did heat up a Bit which is ok. Also since not all rooms falling for heat the hot water only “travels” to one room. So in our case office and guest room radiators stay cold since their readings are above 18c and only bedrooms heating a bit. Which means if I understand correctly it won’t use that much water to heat and saving.

Taking a look at our smart reader there are days we wake up in the morning and there was 0 gas usage and previously we would already use at least 10-15kw.