Time Blocks (Survey)

Options
Just wondering what everyone's time block setup looks like. I'm following the thread in the improvements group about the Comfort feature, which for me is always "cold and humid".

My setup is this - applies to all rooms, all days

00:00-08:00 = 10.0
08:00-22:00 = 14.0
22:00-00:00 = 10.0

Only exception is bathroom, which has 2 extra blocks:

07:30-08:30 = 22.0
16:30-17:30 = 22.0

We tend to be a "boost if needed" house rather than conforming to some nonsense generalisation.

Comments

• ldoodle
    Options
    Really interesting reading the "guidance". Most articles agree on 18-22degress, and the average "heating on" time is 7.5hrs/day.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    We work with a daily schedule for four of our rooms (in use every day) and a less than daily for the others (dictated by the regular patterns of use there) + manual control to deal with the unexpected . . .
  • gary333
    Options
    14 degrees in the day. Is this a joke, or is the house empty? No point having Tado, no point having central heating to be honest.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    14 degrees seems uncomfortably cold to me unless you enjoy wearing a lot of heavy woollen jumpers, but each to their own.
  • ldoodle
    ldoodle
    edited February 2023
    Options
    No it's really not a joke!

It's 13.4degrees in my bedroom and I am slightly uncomfortable on the warm side. Window is slightly ajar and the door is open. If I had it set to 18degrees during night, would have been on all night for one thing, plus I'd be really uncomfortable!

But I have no way of telling tado that.
  • ldoodle
    Options
    "No point having Tado, no point having central heating to be honest."

As I say we do boost it, and having something like tado to do it centrally is easier than running around all the rooms turning up the TRVs
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

We live in a 1930's house and in comparison with friend's houses etc, generally accepted as 'blooming cold'. All our rooms that are currently not 'on heat' are at least 16c for the northerly facing and 18c for the southerly. That was first thing this morning following an overnight frost. We would only have a hot water boiler for 14c!!

• ldoodle
    Options
    My living area is 19.9degrees and tado still says it's too cold!

It seems tado is ignoring at least the UK recommended range for comfort.

Starting to wonder if they're sponsored by the energy companies :/
  • Montage
    Options

I suspect you could fit something other than Tado or any PID/TPI system for the way you use it.

• ldoodle
    Options
    "I think that you should get a medical check up.......13.4 ° and you're "slightly uncomfortably warm""

Been like it all my life.

"I suspect you could fit something other than Tado or any PID/TPI system for the way you use it."

Spent too much on tado to change it! This isn't throwaway price point.
  • Montage
    Options

I’m sure sunk cost fallacy keeps a lot of people in the Tado system.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @ldoodle unless you’ve got zero insulation, I reckon you could get away with turning off the heating altogether at those temperatures. I live in a 17th century house and at outside temperatures above 5c my living room rarely falls below 15c with the windows shut.
  • Montage
    Options

Those are scheduled temperatures, not actual room temperatures (in most cases).

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    True. I suppose it’s the same result whatever you set it to if the ambient temperature remains above that.
  • Montage
    Options

Yes. In essence it’s off and you keep chucking on the odd log by hitting the boost button.

• ldoodle
    ldoodle
    edited February 2023
    Options

Not zero insulation, but not amazing insulation either; blown in cavity wall plus a little bit of rolled glass fibre in the loft.

The point I'm making, and the purpose of the thread I mentioned at the start, is that everyone is different. My coldest room right now is 18.9degrees which is absolutely more than OK for me and others in my household (AND what most UK heating/health organisation recommend). But tado says it's cold; it seems their threshold for "Pleasant" is 20+degrees, but the time block shows as orange at 19degrees and blue anything below that.

So I wanted to see what everyone was doing.

Pleasant is subjective and a "smart" thing of anything should be able to be configured to suit the user. This seems like the most basic feature to implement - a user controlled entry for these ranges.

• johnbur
    Options
    20-21° in every room here thank you very much. Anything less is cold! For us, in a large 1840s house with thick granite walls and lots of insulation in the loft, after much experimenting, it has proved much cheaper to keep the whole house at a constant temperature all winter rather than demand heating.
    Awaiting all the shock and horror about how wrong I am...
  • johnbur
    Options
    @GrayDav4276 wiser...?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Makes sense to me. It’s the principle behind weather compensation systems.
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @GrayDav4276 wise move....
    I'm about to add weather compensation to our Ideal system boiler, but I'll probably leave the Tado TRVs on as long as they keep working, but they are now set to the same temperature 24/7, so pretty irrelevant.
  • Lxpeanut
    Options
    Mine are 00-07 12 degrees, 7-10 16 degrees, 10-16:30 16 degrees, 16:30 -21 16 degrees and 21-00 12 degrees. I'll turn the heating up in the room that I'm actually using if I'm cold. I mostly use the schedule to turn it back down if I forget.
  • ldoodle
    ldoodle
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Wow not logged on in a while and only just seen some of these extra replies!

@johnbur no shock from me. As I say everyone is different and a smart system should be able to handle that.

Your point about keeping it at a constant temperature during winter, how do you do that? If you had a schedule all day for say 21, when each room hits that it will shut off that room, which will then drop so comes back on. I always understood that this continuous firing is both not good and expensive!
  • johnbur
    Options
    @ldoodle having tried both ways last winter, I found that in my case, keeping a current temp didn't lead to the boiler firing anymore than it did otherwise. In addition I set only the main living rooms to be able to call for heat, with the others as independent which improved matters further, and also reduced the flow temperature to 40-50deg controlled by the weather compensation module. Gas usage for me is around 70% of previous average winter usage.
    The house is 1840s with uninsulated thick granite walls that act like a giant storage heater, but with lots of loft insulation and double glazing to reduce heat loss. Certainly won't work for many people I guess.
    This winter, have sold all the Tado kit, and replaced with Sonoff zigbee trvs controlled by home assistant. The results are even better with the tado range/Internet issues.