Checking Tado is Right for us: Smart TRVs, UFH Control etc.

Options

Hello,

Currently in our house we have a Nest Learning Thermostat Third Generation for all the radiators in the house. For the two large family rooms downstairs we have replaced these radiators with water underfloor heating. This UFH runs from a single manifold in the garage and the two UFH rooms can be controlled and programmed independently of each other via our Heatmiser NeoHub and associated app.

We have a Worcester Greenstar 8000 Life System boiler and a large unvented cylinder.

We currently have normal TRVs on many of the radiators which roughly control the max temperatures in these rooms but we’d like to replace these with smart TRVs on all seven radiators (and one heated towel rail), so that they actually talk to the heating system to demand heat when required, give accurate temperature readings and be programmable themselves on a room by room basis.

Unfortunately, Nest don’t seem to provide any sort of smart TRV funtionality or even integration with 3rd party smart TRVs so it looks like we’re going to have to get rid of the Nest system altogether. Reading the reviews, the two market-leading Smart Thermostats which work with smart TRVs seem to be Hive and Tado.

Therefore I would like to know the following in order to decide which to choose:

1)    Does Tado talk directly with smart TRVs and allow control and programming etc?

2)    Will Tado be able to also take over the role of Heatmiser and control and allow scheduling of the two UFH rooms independently i.e. by controlling the separate valves of the same UFH manifold?

3)    Do the Tado smart TRVs work for Heated towel rails as well as radiators? (we have one of these in upstairs bathroom).

4)    Are we futureproofed if at a later date we want to use Air Source Heat Pump to provide the low temperature hot water for the UFH?

5)    What Tado (or 3rd party) equipment would I need to buy for the above set up?

6)    Is there a list of approved Tado installers here in the UK and how can I get a quote to install?

7) What advantages are there over the Hive equivalent system?

Many thanks for your help.

Answers

• hugbilly
    Options

1)    Does Tado talk directly with smart TRVs and allow control and programming etc?

Yes.

2)    Will Tado be able to also take over the role of Heatmiser and control and allow scheduling of the two UFH rooms independently i.e. by controlling the separate valves of the same UFH manifold?

Don't know about UFH.

3)    Do the Tado smart TRVs work for Heated towel rails as well as radiators? (we have one of these in upstairs bathroom).

Yes.

4)    Are we futureproofed if at a later date we want to use Air Source Heat Pump to provide the low temperature hot water for the UFH?

Don't know.

5)    What Tado (or 3rd party) equipment would I need to buy for the above set up?

Tado kit only for the towel rail and rads.

6)    Is there a list of approved Tado installers here in the UK and how can I get a quote to install?

Don't know.

7) What advantages are there over the Hive equivalent system?

I would be very cautious about Hive TRVs. The rest of the Hive system is good, the TRVs are hopeless, I returned mine. This forum will give you some insight: https://community.hivehome.com/s/question/0D50J00005fBS8oSAG/trv-update

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Hugh

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I think Tado will work with air source heat pumps but they work equally well or better without it. Something to consider if you’re considering upgrading in the future.