Tado bridge positioning

Options
I am new to Tado and trying to get to grips with it. Problem so far is that when we leave the house, after a short while the system reads as offline on the app. The issue is flagged as being that receiver is offline. I believe problem is with Bridge positioning because next day I placed bridge differently as a test and it seemed to stay connected. However, where I placed it for the test isn't convenient while at home, but it served to show that it is capable of working. Question is, the bridge comes with ridiculously short cables so you don't get much option. What do people do if it has to plug into a router?

Comments

• Montage
    Options

I expect they use a longer cable.

• JLD
    Options
    I'd like Tado to comment!
  • Montage
    Options

They are not here, sadly.

• JLD
    Options
    What sort of cable? If anyone has any actual experience of this issue, would be grateful to know how you addressed it.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Have you searched the forum? This issue comes up a lot.
  • WillYZF
    WillYZF
    edited February 2023
    Options
    1. An ethernet cable, the required length to connect to your router (or switch if you have one).
    2. If there is no electrical mains socket in the desired location, a suitable USB cable the desired length.
    3. If you do have a mains socket in the desired location and wish to avoid using an ethernet cable you could purchase a couple of powerline adapters.
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

@JLD I've had tado for years, and have 9 devices installed. My property is a slightly odd shape and I had trouble with a smart radiator thermostat at the opposite side of the house to the location of my router. This device regularly disconnected to the point it was essentially useless. My initial solution was, as others have already mentioned, to replace both the ethernet and USB cables with much longer cables. This enabled me to place the tado bridge on top of a cupboard some 2 metres away from the router which improved things dramatically.

However, I was still suffering the odd drop out, just much less frequently.

Due to the shape of my house I also have trouble getting WiFi reliably to the far end of the property, so separately I'd invested in a TP-link deco mesh solution. I've now connected the tado bridge via ethernet to the most central WiFi node in the house. I've not suffered a connection issue since. Not saying you should go out and buy a mesh network solution just to resolve tado connectivity issues, but just highlighting in case you already have one.

• JLD
    Options
    It now seems to be the receiver that shows disconnection flag. Maybe not getting a strong enough signal? Could that be it? Basically, it works fine when we arrive home and are in the house, but seems to drop out when we are remote. But as the point is that you should be able to control it while you are remote, it's not living up to expectations!
  • JLD
    Options
    Also, not sure I fully understand how the geofencing works. What's with the signing as 'home' or 'away'? Not that it can do anything just now because it doesn't reconnect until we are actually in the house, when we could just switch it on manually anyway.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    There are two schedule settings - home for when you are at home and away, which is a set back setting so the house doesn’t heat unnecessarily when there’s no one at home.
  • JLD
    Options
    Thanks folks, I have managed two days now without dropping out. I dug out a much longer ethernet and a usb lead and plug from stuff we already had and so far, it seems to have sorted it without any additional expense! Thanks for all contributions.