Wireless Receiver Wiring for 230V zone valve

Options

Hi,

I have a Wireless Receiver (V3+) that I want to use to control a zone valve that operates on 230V. I think the wiring from this diagram should do the trick. It gives 230V to the valve when there is a heat request and no voltage to the Valve when there is no heat request.

However, the Valve seems to be always open (radiators are warm) instead of closing when the Tado doesn't send a heat request. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Answers

• Montage
    Options

Does the valve really just have 2 wires?

• The valve has a ground as well but for simplicity reason that’s not shown in the diagram. Other than that it only has the 2 wires (L and N). See here for picture of the valve: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tghdAhapsBiSq_OpVlQUli035PonezR5/view?usp=share_link
  • Montage
    Options

How does it close? I can only see a motor.

• The motor powers the valve (behind the motor). Before I connected the Tado I tested the valve and it worked as expected: when it has 230V from the mains the heating water flowed to the radiators (= heating turned on) and when I disconnected the mains the water stopped flowing (= heating turned off).

• Montage
    Options

That doesn’t really answer the question.

Clearly, Tado can’t do any magic.

• Jamie68
    Options
    Is it a solenoid rather than a motor with a spring return to close it?
  • The synchron motor should open the valve when it gets 230V AC, and it should turn back (thanks to a spring) to the closed position when you take away the power. See this video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4Tm6kzVnA&t=2s

• WillYZF
    WillYZF
    edited February 2023
    Options

If its meant to be closed when there is no power perhaps you could check that it is indeed getting no power with a mains voltage testing screwdriver/meter when there is no heat request

Obviously its 240V so be careful... Or get a Heating Engineer to check the wiring and valve operation.