TRV temperature measurement

Options

Maybe I'm wrong, but considering that TRV are 5 cm away from the radiator, the measurement on the temperature makes no sense. Given that it is so near the temperature there is going to be always 2 to 3 degrees over the rest of the room

For example I have a 6 sq meter room with one radiator and the Tado TRV and I've set two thermometers in two different parts of such room. Both measuring 21ºC. But Tado TRV suggests that there are 24ºC in the room.

This happens in 100% of the rooms, I have a total of 9 Tado TRV.

I'm thinking on solving this by using an external service like HA + some external wifi thermometers to manage those Tado directly... but it is another investment :(

I understand that Tado cannot do anything else because they cannot have a thermostatic measure system away from the product, but it's kind of weird overall and I wanted to share this experience with you to see some insights in case you have found some other interesting solutions.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    My solution would be to get a Tado wireless temperature sensor, or possibly a smart thermostat if I wanted to connect to the boiler.
  • SirLouen
    SirLouen
    edited February 2023
    Options

@johnnyp78 I have a thermostat to the boiler but this only covers the living room temperature.

But since I have 9 TRV in 8 different rooms (each for the other radiator), I would need at least 8 sensors.. Each sensor cost like $80+

This is starting to smell like a huge failure 😓

Cannot understand why I cannot manage Tado's with any other home connected temperature sensor. Not saying through the Tado app itself, but maybe from HA... I have to research more.

I think I should be returning all 9 Tados and the Thermostat all at once. I cannot afford an extra 8 x 80 = $640 for some temperature sensors. This feels like a complete rip off

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If all your Tado trvs are that inaccurate, you probably should return them. I find the accuracy of mine varies according to which room they’re in.
  • SirLouen
    Options

Rooms are not small and radiators are big to heat them up. But I feel that Tado is hindering their power. Compared to the radiators that are with regular thermostats they don't heat that much. They are like warm, but never hot.

I have to admit that from a saving perspective this is amazing because full heating is not the best idea, but knowing that I cannot even set any Tado manually to heat to the max is kind of disturbing.

• Montage
    Options

I’m sure you could overlay some HA and run scripts that update the temperature offset of the Tado devices every X minutes. I’ve seen people on here saying they do it.

That’s not a recommendation, BTW. Reminds me of the story of the old lady that swallowed the fly. Maybe it would be better not to swallow that fly.

• SirLouen
    Options

I don't want to claim victory, but I've found that under the TRV individual configs, it is possible to offset the temperature to the real room temperature. So I can force a -3 or -4 ºC in some rooms that approaches way better the real temp of the room.

If this works the way it claims, this may change the game a lot. Now I'm starting to feel the radiators a lot warmer, but as I say I don't want to claim victory yet.

• Montage
    Options

Yes, those are the offsets people then feed in via an HA solution.

• SirLouen
    SirLouen
    edited February 2023
    Options

I can confirm 24 hours testing this, that the offsets have clearly solved the issue. I wonder why no one suggests this in any of the topics.