Anyone else think it disgusting that Tado now make you subscribe to get the basic features

Options
Are Tado getting it wrong?

Anyone else think it disgusting that Tado now make you subscribe to get the basic features 10 votes

Yes
70%
samdScreamingPictBOG73andrewjbrooksJamie68SR1965mcgada 7 votes
No
30%
davidlyallwhat_a_tadopcone 3 votes

Comments

• Yes
    When I bought in to Tado it was for the control including geofencing. Having bought radiator valves and room stats and helping them improve the original app. I think it is utter ridiculous that Tado are charging extra for the basic features needed for your investment in a Tado system deliver the basics.
    Will Philips start charging us to use their app to operate their lights? Of course not! It’s utter nonsense.
    At the very least customers who have had Tado for years, have installed a full system in all rooms/rads should have had their basic facilities maintained.
  • RichardN
    Options

What basic features now require subscription?

I don't subscribe and my heating is working fine (apart from the odd temp overshoot).

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Has something changed? Tado started charging a subscription 4+ years ago. I believe customers who purchased V2 & V3 years ago are still getting the full service.
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

@andrewjbrooks I'm not sure I fully understand the reason for this poll. It seems a bit late to the party, unless they've changed something else in the last few days?

Tado introduced their subscription based approach in 2018 for Auto Assist (i.e automatic geofencing, open window detection etc).

However, if you were an existing customer prior to this date you were grandfathered in and did not have to pay the subscription to keep these features. The important device in all of this is the bridge. Provided your bridge was registered prior to the change to a subscription model then you do not have to pay the subscription.

I purchased my original tado equipment in 2017 when the auto assist features were free, and therefore still receive all functionality without subscription. I added radiator thermostats over 2 years ago to my existing setup and still received auto assist for free as my bridge is still my original one.

• what_a_tado
    Options
    No

Disgusting? No

Disappointing? Maybe

I suppose it all depends on what you class as basic features which unfortunately the OP hasn't felt necessary to expand upon.

• WillYZF
    WillYZF
    edited February 2023
    Options

Whilst I don't advocate the practice it has become common everywhere and will no doubt proliferate as it makes money for those concerned with its implementation.