life of Tado servers?

Options
Hi guys
Enjoying my recently installed wireless V3 smart stat. I assume any commands I send to the V3 unit by Alexa, wireless stat etc have to go via the Tado servers so what happens if these servers stop for whatever reason eg. change of business model, change of Tado ownership or whatever will WiFi still work or just the test function to enable heating please?.
Steve

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

The Tado app, Alexa and other third party home automation apps will not function without the Tado servers. You'll just have the test function, unless you have Apple's HomeKit. I believe HomeKit will continue to work locally with the Tado devices, but you won't have all the functionality that you normally get with the app.

• Thanks for that wish I'd known that before I installed it, even though it's a nice piece of kit might have gone with the Hive as I gather it can work locally. Hindsight a wonderful thing!!.
  • So did some delving into Apples Homekit, installed the app on my wife's iPhone,gave it the internet bridge number and voila the heating works without connecting to the Tado servers so we have a plan b should their servers ever go down 🥳
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

To put it bluntly.....all the tado° customers "will be up the creek without a paddle"

• davidlyall
    Options

I suspect if Tado does ever get into trouble and there's a risk to service, someone will likely buy them and start charging us to use even the basic functionality

I've previously posted that I don't think the current business model is sustainable especially if sales of hardware slow down as that will see their income stream cut. Personally, I'd be happy to pay a subsription if it gave some more security to the service