Load compensation + weather compensation together - does it save money ?

Options

Hello!

I am curious about experiences in comparing the system with Tado thermostat connected to the boiler via OpenTherm and:

Case 1: Smart TRVs installed

Case 2: Dumb TRVs installed

It can be read in some places that using weather + load compensation together may not be effective because:

When you do whether compensation the thermostat (or boiler) sets the flow temp to a value which should fulfill the heating needs and not need to be controlled again by controlling the load. In this case TRV shall only be used to limit max temperature to not overheat the room by a lot.

When you do load compensation you do it against the flow temperature thus changing the flow temperature would ruin your load compensation.

My personal experience is that gas usage is approx the same, no difference.

1. Load + weather compensation together (Tado thermostat via OpenTherm + Tado SRTs): boiler cycles a lot, mostly due to micro-zoning. When micro-zoning is turned off, basically my Tado SRTs behave as a dumb TRV with adjustable scheduling.
  2. Weather compensation only (Taco thermostat via OpenTherm + dumb TRVs): boiler cycles rarely, however I heat the whole house - to not micro-zone again and the dumb TRVs cannot close the radiators as quickly when the target temp reached as Tado SRTs.

As mentioned gas usage is approx the same, however in case of the first option the investment made is a lot bigger because of the cost of the SRTs.

Also has anyone compared when Tado thermostat was connected in On-Off mode and weather compensation was done by the boiler via an external sensor ?