TRVs not closing

Options

Today we fitted Tado SRTs to 4 of our radiators. 3 had one style old TRVs and a 4th a different one.

Identified the right adaptor and pin for the 3 based on the help pages (https://intercom.help/tado-hc/en/articles/3482335-which-radiator-valves-are-the-smart-radiator-thermostats-compatible-with-do-i-need-an-adapter-to-mount-the-device) however despite all 3 being fitted with the same TRVs and the SRTs fitted with the same M28x1.5 adapter and 15mm pin extender 2 of the 3 are not shutting off. When the temperature is reached the SRTs are correctly “shutting off” but for 2 the hot water is still entering the radiator. With the old manual controls I think these were a bit dodgy, however they would shut off if manually closed.

This might be a silly question but does the pin close the TRV in a way that means down is closed up open, or down open and up closed? If it’s the former then maybe a longer pin might help, if it’s the later then it would mean either the TRV pin isn’t returning fully (I.E. it’s sticking) or the SRT is still slightly pushing it (the pin being too long?).

Any advise or recommendations?

Best Answer

• Jamie68
    Jamie68
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Down is closed and up is open. I had same problem, changed to the next pin size up, reset the valve and allowed it to recalibrate. Was better but not perfect. Removed the SRV, worked the valve pin on the valve body up and down using a flat bar to push it up and down. Repeated for aboit five minutes. Replaced the SRV, recalibrated, and it's perfect now.

Answers

• geekjamesh
    Options

Thanks... a full strip down of the STV and adapter, going up a pin size, testing the pin with a flat head screwdriver and ensuring everything was fitted tightly seems to have done the job. A week on all 4 are now functioning as expected.