tado devices do not trigger boiler to heat up

Options

I have recently installed a wired smart thermostat (living room) and 3 smart radiator thermostats (all in separate rooms). Aside from that I connected the Internet Bridge to the internet and all devices are paired with it (status: 'Connected'). When I turn up the temperature, either via the app or manually at the device, it keeps saying that the room is heating up to set temperature, but the boiler is never triggered.

I have followed the instructions of above mentioned devices carefully and everything seemed fine until I powered on the heating system.

I still get hot shower and tap water, so the boiler is working fine, it's just not receiving instructions to heat the rooms.

What have I missed here?

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Sounds like a wiring issue. You can post pictures on the desktop version of the forum.
  • What happens if you 'boost' your system?

I think i saw something similar and came to the conclusion that the wireless receiver (boiler controller) may decide whether to request heat or not based on an an overview of all requests. Doing so to try and avoid an overshoot. - Just a thought.

• davidlyall
    Options
    So, a few questions.

Do you have a wireless receiver unit?
    No, then do the TRVs have the smart thermostat set as their zone controller?
    Yes, do the TRVs have the wireless receiver set as their zone controller?

For TRVs to be able to call for heat and trigger the boiler, they will need a zone controller to be set

Is the system wired as a relay or opentherm?

Can you post pics of the thermostat wiring before and after tado install?
  • mvgool
    Options

I have attached a photo of how the tado wired smart thermostat is connected. The red wire is + and the blue is -. These wires were connected to the old thermostat (Remeha iSense, boiler: Remeha Calenta 40C) on the + and -. I have simply replaced the thermostat and connected everything it is supposed to be.

Looking at the old thermostat, it looks like wired as OpenTherm? I have reconnected that thermostat to warm up my house again :-)

The TRVs have the smart themostat in the living room set as their zone controller.

It could indeed be a wiring issue. I have not checked the boiler itself. Maybe I should open it and check if the wires need to be connected elsewhere?

• davidlyall
    Options
    Thanks. I'll leave it for other members with opentherm experience to respond

Did you involve tado in the install? There may be additional configuration required for your setup
  • mvgool
    mvgool
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi davidlyall,

No, i have not involved tado in the install. I will try to get in contact with them.

If other members have any experience with opentherm, I'm happy to see what you have to say :-)

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You need to tell Tado to use Opentherm. That’s why it’s better to do the install through the app. If you download the Tado installer’s app you should be able to see whether it’s set for Opentherm.
  • mvgool
    Options

Hi johnny78,

I have installed the thermostat through the tado app. Wires were connected to the old OT thermostat exactly how it was portraited. I labeled the wires as it told me to and connected the wires to the tado thermostat. Could the labels however be swapped? It's what the app mentioned as well.

How do I tell tado to use Opentherm though?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Opentherm wires are polarity free. If you download the installers app, you should be able to see if Tado is set for opentherm.
  • mvgool
    Options

The systems seems to be working now after I have let a heating engineer take a look at the wiring. He didn't change anything other than stripping off the wires a bit better and reconnecting them to the tado smart thermostat.

Regarding the floor heating system, they will figure something out on how to add tado to it as well.

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread!