Ideal Vogue C32 with wired thermostat in OpenTherm mode

Options

Hi,

I've recently switched to an OpenTherm setup from my wired Tado thermostat into an Ideal Vogue C32 combi boiler. Despite some issues with Early Start (I might post separately on that one), it seems to be working OK. However, I've setup some temperature monitoring on my CH flow pipe and have noticed something strange.

When the CH is turned off but there is demand for hot water, the CH flow pipe gets very hot (hotter than the HW pipe!). It gets to the point where the first radiator on the circuit starts to warm up (albeit quite slowly).

I can only assume this is an issue with the internal diverter valve but I wanted to rule out any issues with the Tado OT config first before I get Ideal in to have a look (fortunately, the boiler is still under warranty).

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed any issues with this kind of setup? I suspect it's probably a long shot given there won't be many people monitoring their CH flow pipe temperature but worth a try...

Many thanks.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’ve got this exact set up and it’s never happened for me as far as I know, certainly to the extent of a radiator heating up. Sounds like either a plumbing issue or as you said a sticky diverter valve.
  • Thanks for that. Fortunately it's still under warranty so I'm talking to Ideal about having it looked at.

Just out of interest, do you use the Hot Water Control functionality in the Tado app. When I configured OT through the Pro app, I disabled it thinking it wasn't required with it being a Combi boiler. However, I've since discovered it perhaps serves a useful purpose in being able to adjust the HW temperature at different times of the day. I'm not entirely convinced I will use it but it would be interesting to hear experiences.

Thanks.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, works well when I want a bath, I usually turn it up to about 55c. It’s normally on 42c. I don’t see the point in setting a schedule but you might.