Wireless thermostat schedules and smart radiator thermostats

I have a V3 wireless theremostat in my hall set up on a twice daily schedule. The stat is currently set to 18 degrees. I also have two smart radiator thermostats. How do I set up the smart thermostats on the radiators if I want the room temperature greater oir lower than that in the hall? As the heating is controlled with the wireless thermostat, I assume the radiator stats do not actually need a schedule? However, when I check the radiator stat on the app, it has a Resume Schedule button. even though I haven't set one up. Do I just ignore it?

Answers

• You put Tado devices in rooms so I’m not sure how you can be checking individual devices. Where are your Tado trvs? Are they in a different room and if so have you created one on the app?
  • My understanding is that each device (radiator valve or wall thermostat) works independently unless grouped. Each device can be given a different schedule, as you might need if each is in a different room/area of the household. You can set up the schedule using the phone app, as I assume you have to get the thermostat onto a twice daily routine. It’s much the same for each of the radiator controllers.

Should you want two or more devices to follow the same schedule, you can copy a schedule from one to another. If you do that, they follow the schedule independently. Alternatively, devices can be grouped by a request to support. When grouped, one of the devices becomes the leader and the others obey instructions from that, rather than work independently, and there is only one schedule which is stored for the lead device. Grouping is only of value if the devices are in the same room/area. If independent, each of those smaller areas can be boosted or closed independently. 

All communications are with a receiver, which takes individual requests for heat and controls the boiler. So, in your case, each device is asking the receiver to tell the boiler to switch on when they determine that their area is below temperature. Valves will open or close as they become cold or too warm but they need to also tell the boiler to provide heat if it’s not already doing so.

(I’m sorry if I’ve managed to make such a simple thing sound so complicated!)

• The system I have installed replaces a wired thermostat and Lifestyle LP722 controller. My home is set up as a single zone; grouping of devices is not required. The call for heat is controlled by the wireless thermostat in the hall. The wireless receiver is set up to schedule heating for two periods during the day. I do not need the trvs to call for heat, only to control the temperature in the room where they are installed when the heating is on. Consequently they do not need a schedule. However, when I click on the device on the app, it tells me that it is operating "until I resume schedule" and there is a button to "Resume Schedule". So my question is do I just ignore these, or alternatively, set a constant 24 hour 7 day shcedule that is effectively overridden by the wireless receiver?

• Tado operates on rooms, if you don’t create rooms in the apps and put the Tado devices in them, it won’t operate correctly.
  • I have rooms set up.

• When you say “you do not need the trvs to call for heat, only to control the temperature in the room where they are installed when the heating is on”

well ‘controlling the temperature’ is accomplished by either ‘calling’ or ‘not calling’ for heat.

eg set each smart trv for the temp schedule you want. The hall smart thermostat needs to be set high enough such that if a room trv demands heat then it will get it and switch off if it doesn’t need it, however If the hall smart stat is too low then the room trvs will demand heat but won’t get it.

are we closer to addressing your query ?

• @dewick

“Consequently they do not need a schedule. However, when I click on the device on the app, it tells me that it is operating "until I resume schedule" and there is a button to "Resume Schedule". So my question is do I just ignore these, or alternatively, set a constant 24 hour 7 day shcedule that is effectively overridden by the wireless receiver?”

let’s see, so you’ll need a schedule of some sort so a schedule will either have one setting 24/7 at a single temp setting eg 20c or the schedule with comprise 2 or more alternative temps at appropriate times of the day,

unless there is a technical reason for a 24/7 constant room temp I cannot see why you would have a single temp/schedule ?

Can you advise how you want the individual rooms to be controlled regarding heated or not heated eg times/temps? Cheers 😉

• @dewick ‘My home is set up as a single zone; grouping of devices is not required.’ Implies you haven’t got rooms set up- have you set up rooms on the app and put the devices in the correct place?