Does Tado do predictive heating? ie: Get to the defined temp at the defined time?

Options

I currently have a Netatmo which I'm looking to upgrade from. It's great in that it learns the performance of your house, and then uses the current temp to start heating early to get to the desired temp at the specified time.

eg: If I want the house at 18 degree at 6:30am it may turn the heating on at 5:30 to achieve this.

Does Tado do this?

Comments

• Phillip_PAL
    Options

Yes and no via 'early start' setting however, in all the years of owning Tado I have not seen any evidence of 'learning'.

If you are lucky, it works, but often it turns on hours too early.

Otherwise, If you persevere with support you can eventually find someone willing to tweak the settings such that any overshoot / undershoot / faulty early start, but the normal stock answer is 'dont use early start - add lots of stepping schedules to achieve this' which is Tado being poor.

Once configured correctly via Tado support altering hidden to us settings, it works very well adjusting based on actual indoor temperature but also taking into account outdoor temperature to determine the point to start early.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Early start works pretty well in my house with the max flow temp set to 55c. It seems to work ok in houses like mine that are slow to heat or have UFH. Otherwise Tado seems pretty decent at not overshooting too much (though this still happens in smaller rooms) and using weather compensation.
  • NeilF
    Options

So it looks like you need to manually set your temps to start early then. Not the end of the world.

Does Tado at least heat sensibly so say when heating to 18 degrees it doesn't simply heat your house until 18 is reached and THEN turn off the heating, only then for thermal inertia to take you temp further up to 18.3 for example?

My Netatmo stops short when raising temp, and pulses heating to stop it dropping below the desired temp. It would be rare to see my temp drop or raise much beyond 0.1 degree from the desired temp.

How does Tado fair?

• BridgeSide
    Options

If I am to believe what tado chart out for me, it seems to be pretty good at maintaining a stable temperature. It appears to demand in proportion to the difference between actual and target and stop before the target is achieved. I'm not sure how clever it is. It must be difficult to know what the circulating water flow rate and temperature is (it must vary), so I don't see how it could determine an optimum amount to open a valve by. My graphs show each device adhering to targets rather well. If overshoot became a problem, you could reduce the target a little. Targets can be set to the nearest 0.5°C.

The early start facility works but seems to be a bit too eager. Mine used to start about two hours before it needed to, so I made changes to the schedule to overcome that.

I've never experienced Netamo, so cannot draw comparisons, but tado is better than the Drayton system I had before. None of the many different systems I've tried to date have got me excited in a positive way (a bit like SatNavs). I think they all have weaknesses.

• Phillip_PAL
    Options
    If the overshoot is within 0.5 then tado will not look into it. I don't mind if that's only for 15 to 30 minutes low heating on a warm day, but if it tado insists on heating one room unnecessarily for hours at a high rate on a very cold day to surpass and then to maintain high temperature for hours after thereafter is annoying.

However, if you raise a query (it may take a bit of perserverance) you should eventually find someone who will tweak the internal settings for vastly improved performance should it not be correct out of the box.

I've gradually added more rooms and schedules, some work and others didn't.

Once altered it then works whatever the weather.

However, if you radically change something like move house or upgrade a radiator it doesn't adapt and needs some assistance from support.
  • BOG73
    BOG73 ✭✭
    Options
    @NeilF it seems that Netatmo learning capabilities are better then Tado. In my case,Tado does not show any learning unless I use scheduling for stop and start the boiler…to leave it on all the time will be worse. I am searching more info about Netatmo learning thermostat(latest version) and replace Tado as a controller for my heating. First,I need more info and can I ask you: why do you want to replace Netatmo? What is bothering so much? To me,Tado does not work for the money I invested and the savings it make are low,apparently the biggest save Tado offers is the heat off which can be done with cheaper stats anyway,but the comfort and savings I was looking when I bought Tado,never achieved…this is why I look at Netatmo and maibe it works better for comfort and savings I was looking when I first bought Tado. Maibe next version of Tado to be better but I doubt…unless someone buy Tado company and give a new thinking and better development of product.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @BOG73 you’re supposed to use scheduling with Tado. If you leave it on all the time I’m not sure what learning you’re expecting to happen?
  • BOG73
    BOG73 ✭✭
    Options
    @johnnyp78 if I leave it on all the time the learning capabilities of Tado will be better? Don’t understand the reason,should Tado be used without scheduling of any form,including night setback of 2C from 20 to 18?What is your opinion? Thanks!
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we’re on the same page. You should set a schedule and allow the system to learn how long it takes to heat your house and how quickly it cools. I suspect netatmo or any other PID heating system would be the same.
  • NeilF
    NeilF
    edited March 2023
    Options

Netatmo thermostat latest version? I've had mine for many many years and I'm not aware of a newer version?

Be lovely if they introduced a means of turning your hot water on/off too.

If you could use tado to schedule/control hot water and Netatmo to do the heating? Is that possible?

• BOG73
    BOG73 ✭✭
    Options
    @NeilF there is a new Netatmo thermostat released 2021 I guess or last year. It is called Netatmo modulating thermostat and it works only with opentherm boilers(no relay) but have no idea if will control water on/off!! You can check online,the advertise look good for Netatmo but don’t know how much of this is real(Tado😵‍💫). The Netatmo app looks a bit better in terms of info and there is no paid subscription (big plus comparing with Tado). Scheduling is a bit odd,it is done after few questions and Netatmo will start learn and adapt to your life style(sounds nice but…also Tado claim to adapt and 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫). I consider to buy Netatmo modulating thermostat for the next cold season and few of my friends too but we need to check better first,possible to get one all together to share the price cost and test it first in various locations.