Fitting Tado wireless receiver inplace of room thermostat

Options
As86
As86
edited March 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Hi.

I had a wireless v3 kit which i was looking to replace my drayton lp711 timer, on a combi boiler.

Also has a seperate room thermostat (rst1).

Ive had a look and there are a lot (13+) wires connected to my drayton backplate, as the boiler has an external condensate pump etc as is using other drayton terminals to link connections.

I dont think these wires will be able to physically fit in the Tado receiver backplate, so ive come up with a plan of just setting the Drayton to "ON" 24/7, and using the current room thermostat wires to power the Tado.

I cant see an issue why this wouldn't work?

Thermostat Live to Tado L, Neutral to Tado N, Link Tado L to Tado COM, then Tado CH NO to the boiler to call for the heating.

Anything i should be aware of?

Just so youre aware, the room thermostat is on side of the boiler cupboard upstairs, so out of the way. (Boiler is inside cupboard)

Thanks

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

No problem with setting the programmer to 24/7 and is probably the best option in your case. If you did decide to directly replace the programmer with the wireless receiver then don't follow the standard installation instructions. The condensate pump will have a safety feature that breaks the electrical circuit to the boiler if its internal chamber holds too much water. Perhaps due a blockage or pump failure. Mis-wiring the safety cut-out could cause a small flood inside your home.

• As86
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Should be all good to make use of the existing thermostat wires then onto the tado receiver?

Yeah I've noticed the condensate pump provides the live feed to the boiler.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options
    As long as your current thermostat has a Neutral wire, I believe it does, then you can put the wireless receiver in its place.
  • As86
    Options
    It does indeed.
    Live,Neutral, Call, Earth.

Thanks