Boiler cracked down, installer blames Tado.

Options
Last Thursday, my boiler stopped functioning, apparently some power surge burned the card. But while inspecting the boiler after changing the card, the installer noticed heat coming off and observed a crack in the heating chamber. He asked questions about my heating habit and I told him I used Tado to handle the heating requirements and all of my radiators have an individual valve that would turn off when away.

He said that this was bad as water should always be running in the boiler and I should keep at least one valve always open to keep the water running and preventing the boiler to cool down too much before turning back hot at once.
For context, my boiler lives in an insulated cabinet outside my house, which allows it to potentially run cold if it is not on.

Has anybody ever had an incident like that while using Tado? Is the recommendation from the installer sane? What setting could I use to keep one valve always running in Tado?

And a final deceptive observation about this episode is that the Tado's Care and Protect feature stayed completely oblivious about the whole incident: it did not detect the boiler was cracked and lacked efficiency, or even that it stopped functionning. It just detected that it was business as usual and that all my zones were requiring 100% heating for hours without any impact of the temperature. Which makes it all a pretty useless feature that I pay for.

Comments

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

It’s normal for a boiler to require a bypass, which can be an actual bypass or a radiator or two that can never fully close.

Installers should make sure this is the case when they put the boiler in.

Tado do not have any feature to do what you mention.

You’d need to fit a bypass or make sure you don’t have SRTs on all radiators.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

I agree with Montage, this is not a Tado issue. As a minimum the original installer should have removed one of the TRV valves and replaced with a lockshield valve to ensure the system had a permanent bypass.

• wateroakley
    Options

Ditto GrilledCheese2 and Montage. If the boiler does not have an internal bypass (to dissipate excess heat) the system should have an external bypass on the pipework or one rad without a TRV for a bypass.

• geekjamesh
    Options

As everyone said above... normally the Bathroom is a good "always on" option.

The other thing is it is normal for the room with the main "calling for heat" shouldn't have a STV/TRV to stop the thermostat calling for heat while the TRVs/STVs are shut off and therefore can't supply the heat to the room to shut off the boiler. This is different to STVs twinned with a wireless sensor where the sensor simply acts as the guage of temp rather than the STV - I don't know if the Tado Wireless Thermostats can act in this way though.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    They do. No problem having a Tado trv and temp sensor the same room, they work together, usually with the temp sensor as measuring device.
  • mindstorm
    Options

You can have an open radiator or a system bypass installed but Vaillant have one fitted as standard. A cracked heating chamber may suggest the water in the boiler freezing but could be a manufacturing fault, all depends on the boilers age.