Does the Smart Thermostat overrule Smart radiator thermostats

Options

I've just installed a hard wired Tado thermostat plus a number of Tado SRVs. I have the thermostat in a hallway which has a radiator with no SRV/TRV installed.

Does the hallway thermostat overrule the SRVs? For example if I had the hallway thermostat set to 16C and other SRVs set to 22C will the boiler stop running when the hallway gets to 16C even if the other rooms haven't reached their target temperature yet?

Comments

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

When there is demand, the boiler will fire.

• Freebird
    Options

Ok thanks. So this implies that any of the SRVs can cause the boiler to fire, not just the hallway thermostat. Is that correct?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it would. Not sure there’s much you can do about it except set similar temperatures or install a Tado trv.
  • Freebird
    Options

To clarify these are Tado trvs (or srvs if you will).

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The Tado trvs can call for heat from the boiler but I suspect the thermostat will just turn it off again if it’s set at a significantly lower target temperature. If it doesn’t then you’ll effectively have no maximum temperature control in the room with only a thermostat.
  • Freebird
    Options

Ok thanks for that. It would be great to get something definitive from Tado. Essentially the question is, "will the boiler shut down if the thermostat has reached its target regardless of any demand from SRVs"?

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

You won't hear from Tado via this forum, you'd need to raise a support case.

It's an easy thing for you to test if you are unsure about the responses.

@johnnyp78 raises a good point regarding the thermostat location. Sticking one in the hallway is quite old school and for sure conflicts with what you seem to be trying to achieve now with SRTs around the home.

• Freebird
    Options

I'm finding that the testing is just weird. Radiators sometimes stopping when the hallway thermostat reaches its goal, other times appearing to fire the boiler when the hallway thermostat is beyond its goal. This question of what has control seems so basic that I'm a bit surprised the answer isn't out there somewhere. I'd like to know what <i>should</i> be happening and I can take it from there.

I have the main thermostat in the hallway because that's where the old wired one was. I'm not confident to go wiring new boxes into the boiler directly so I went for a straight swap. I understand that you shouldn't have a TRV on the radiator in the same room as the main stat so I've followed that advice. In any case I'm ok with my hallway being one of the hottest rooms due to the way the building is configured.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The advice on not having a trv in the same room as a thermostat is for dumb trvs. For Tado products it’s the opposite. As you’re finding out, they work better when there is both a thermostat and a Tado trv.

Your other option would be to make the room the thermostat is in zone controller independent, so it no longer calls for heat and overrides the trvs.
  • Freebird
    Options

Ok that's useful, thanks. Out of interest what is the source of this advice? The Tado website keeps it very very simple. I've not seen anything before that states using Tado TRV's in the same room as a main stat.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Where does the Tado website tell you not to? As far as I’m aware they recommend it. Maybe you’re thinking of the advice given for dumb trvs and thermostats?
  • Freebird
    Options
    The only advice I’ve ever seen was to avoid putting a TRV in the same room as a thermostat and I’ve seen that a lot. I’ve never seen anything to say that SRVs are different so my default assumption has always been that they are the same. Some definite indication from a manufacturer would be compelling but I haven’t come across that despite searching . If you know of any that would be really helpful.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here you go https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3387257-do-i-need-smart-radiator-thermostats-in-the-room-in-which-i-already-have-a-smart-thermostat-or-wireless-temperature-sensor-installed
  • Freebird
    Options

Ah that’s just what I need. Thanks so much for your help with this.