Poor internal Insulation/heatloss

Options
Hi,
I was looking to see if anyone has the same issue as me? I’m not sure if I am micro zoning too much? I have a 3 level house with really poor internal insulation between rooms. I have downstairs at frost protection as we don’t use it very often, and then I am setting the rooms we are using to 18-19oC and the rooms not in use (e.g bedrooms through the day to 16oC). I’m finding the heating is on a lot of the day, and is roughly costing us £20 of gas p/d. I realise prices are high but I just feel somethings now right. I’m starting to think that the heat is just moving to try heat the rooms that are lower therefore defeating the purpose of the TRVs?
If anymore has some advise or how to zone or setup my schedules then that would be appreciated!

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The first thing I would try is heating your downstairs to about 14-12c, possibly without a zone controller set so it doesn’t call for heat unnecessarily. Try keeping zoning to a minimum, by floor for example.
  • emz146200
    Options
    Thank you, I could certainly try that.
    By zoning, what do you mean? I only have one zone controller connected to the boiler that all the radiators work from
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Don’t set your rooms on one floor to different temperatures, keep them all roughly the same.
  • wateroakley
    Options

@emz146200

Ouch. £20 a day for winter gas heating is above average. That’s around 200kWh a day.

It’s taken a year to work out what works well for us. With using Tado controls, our winter average daily usage has shrunk from circa 150 kWh to less than 100 kWh at the same outside CET temperature. Some in the community think we live in a mansion!

As Johnny suggests, I’d start by grouping the room heating schedule by time of day use. E.g. top floor bedrooms early am and late evening, day rooms together, lounge only on in the evening. Hot water on for early am showers. Turn down the room temperature when not used and turn off the heating zone controller request (independent setting) in any room you do not routinely use; that room won’t need to call for heat. With wfh and days away, we geofence routinely.

Open plan is an energy guzzler; avoid leaving unused room doors open: energy loss at the speed of infra-red light is your ££ enemy.

Good luck with finding what works for you.