Dual zone Opentherm

Options

Just moved into a new build and the set up is:

- Logic esp1 30 combi boiler

- 2X wired TPone M thermostats (one upstairs and one downstairs) they're two separate zones (downstairs and upstairs)

- Danfoss wiring box which runs into two zone valves

I want to setup Dual zone Opentherm and was thinking of buying the EU wireless version for the ground floor then keeping installing a wired start for the top floor to acc as on/off.

Would this work? At the moment i'm confused to how the top floor stat would work as on/off once OT has been wired in on the boiler and room/stat was been removed?

Answers

• GazzaH
    Options

Hello, what might be easier and a very good type of control is: Fit two Tado wireless kits for combi's, one for each zone, switching via 230V relays and also fit Ideal's own wired outside weather sensor, on a North facing wall.

This will get all the benefits of the Tado system but the boiler flow temps will vary, very accurately, via the Ideal weather sensor.

As for dual zone opentherm, you may need to fit two wired Tado thermostats? I'm not sure how this would work with the zone valves. It might not even be possible. I don't think you can have 230V switching and opentherm at the same time.

Ideal boilers are one of the few makes which allow 230V relay switching from any controller but at the same time can have Ideal's own weather sensor.

When powered-up, the boiler sees that an Ideal weather sensor is connected and it then operates differently, with different options appearing on the boiler's screen.

Two wireless Tados, Ideal's own weather compensation and maybe later more Tado TRV's will be a very advanced system. You may not even need the TRV's as the two zones may be good enough and stop too much cycling.

The only other thing to watch is that a lot of new build houses put in these 35KW Ideal combis for hot water performance but the house needs nowhere near 35KW for heating. The boilers sometimes cycle too much as they can't modulate down low enough for the few radiators that are on. Again, Ideal's weather sensor may help with this slightly as it may hold back the boiler and keep flow temps low for longer.

• CurtisB
    Options

Thanks for your reply!

Tado original told me to order 1x EU Combi Kit and a Wired Addon but this meant I would have to remove the zone valves than order TRV's to create the zones.

In the end of back and forth with Tado support about what kit to order and a few refunds later. I just ended up ordering Two Tado Wired Kits, to replace the Danfoss stats, as I didn't want to go down the route of micro zoning and would have rather keep upstairs/downstairs zones. But felt that the work involved to get everything swapped wasn't worth it.

Yeah I did ready that with the Ideal boilers in new builds, but was looking into weather comp as it looked to be a cheaper option to test out, as I don't fancy replacing it yet 😂

• GazzaH
    Options

Ah so you've fitted two Tado wired kits switching via 230v relays?

You could still fit Ideal weather comp at any time and it would work quite well. There should not be a clash with the Tado weather adaptation because the Tado doesn't operate like true weather comp.

It would just learn heat up times based on realtime data. The Tado would do all the switching and monitoring and the boiler would decide itself how hot to make the radiator flow temperature, going by the actual outside temperature.