How to turn on hot water from wireless receiver?

Options
Hi All, I have a wireless V3+ kit with hotwater control for my Megaflo. At times I want to be able to turn on hot water from the wireless receiver, but when I press the button on the receiver, it only stays on for a few minutes and not long enough to heat the water.

I've adjusted the timing for 45 minutes but that makes no difference at all and it still stays on for a few minutes only.

How can I make the hotwater stay on longer?

Best Answer

Answers

• Alps
    Options
    Thanks mate for the info. I've been trying to suss it out for ages. Guess I'm now going to have to go through the tortuous task of teaching my 76 year old mum hours to use an app. Wish me luck 🤣
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can set a hot water schedule, otherwise it might be easier to show her how to use the smart thermostat, though in fairness the Tado app is about as user friendly as you can get.
  • Alps
    Options
    Thanks Johnny. I have a schedule set but this is just in case the water goes cold. I might just set an Alexa prompt as she'll find that easier. Although Alexa might get a touch confused as she always says thank you and please to her after she asks her to set a timer when cooking 🤣
  • Alps
    Options
    Guys a quick update to this thread. My wifi went down last week so I took this opportunity to test the hot water override button. But when I pressed the button, even though I've set it to override for 45 minutes, it only came on for 2 minutes.

My concern is, what would happen if my wifi was down for quite some time? I'd get no heat or hot water.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as the bridge is connected, when there’s no internet connection you can still set heating and hot water to come on from your smart thermostat/ wireless temp sensor. What you won’t be able to do is set a schedule.
  • Alps
    Options
    Thanks Johnny. That's a relief. So the schedule will remain as it is. But, if wifi is down, if I wanted to turn the hotwater or heating on from my phone app to override the schedule, this will work?
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Only from the device ....not via the App

• Alps
    Options
    Ahhh! I only have a wireless temperature sensor and I believe this only controls heat and not hot water.

Will the wireless thermostat control hot water?
  • pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

You can manually control the hot water from the Wireless Temperature Sensor https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3405564-can-i-adjust-my-heating-cooling-manually-on-my-devices-how-long-does-this-manual-change-stay-active

If you have more than one Temperature Sensor or Themostat, only one will be set up to control the hot water - you can check which one in the 'Rooms & Devices' section of the app, under 'Hot Water Control'

• Alps
    Options
    Pcone thank you. That's a massive help. I was previously told that the wireless sensor could not control the hotwater.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You won’t have a schedule if there’s no internet access. You can control the hot water and heating manually from your Tado device.
  • Alps
    Options
    Thanks Johnny. The thing is, when I had no Internet connection a week ago, the hot water over ride button on the wireless receiver kept switching off after 2 minutes. On the Tado app, I've set the over ride time to 45 minutes.

Am I doing something wrong?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you’ve got no internet connection the settings on the Tado app are irrelevant. All you can do is manually turn hot water and heating on and off.

It sounds like you were pressing the test buttons on the wireless receiver. If you want manual control from it it looks like you need to press the main button. https://support.tado.com/en/articles/4790944-how-can-i-control-my-heating-system-when-the-radio-link-between-the-wireless-temperature-sensor-and-the-wireless-receiver-is-lost
  • Chapstar37
    Options
    From my experience
    Don't know what you mean by wireless receiver so will use tado terms.

If you have a wired thermostat connected to the bridge by wireless
    It will communicate and call for heat if you manually demand it. If you have TRVs these will use the bridge or the Thermostat or another wireless thermostat like a mesh network to call for heat via the main wired thermostat.

To heat water you need either a connected boiler or an extension kit which replaces your external controller or programmer.

On the top is a single button, when connected to the bridge and the paired thermostat by wifi. It will pulse slowly..if its not connected it will flash 3 times repeatedly. Your app will show its not connected also.

You need to reset the bridge and allow everything to reconnect. Check your router and broadband also.

If that works you are back up.

If it doesn't but the bridge shows all 3 lights. Check for a service outage.

If there is no service you can press the white button on the top of the extension kit to do the following.

A. Once gives a 2 min boost (check) of all connected devices and turns everything on.

B. Twice heats until connected or cancelled on all devices but you can set them locally if you only want some or just hot water. I think it times out after an hour

C. Hold down for 30 seconds resets connection to bridge and main thermostat.

I have a Bluetooth timeguard immersion heater for emergencies which can be controlled in ifttt via a phone if tado loses connection during a scheduled hot water cycle.
  • Alps
    Options
    Thank you both for the help. Like a right plonker, I was pressing the hotwater button (third button) rather than the main first button. It's a relief that there's nothing wrong with my setup.

Chapstar, here in the UK, I think we call the extention kit a wireless receiver. It's the gadget that Johnny linked in his post.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Extension kit is the older version of the wireless receiver. Chapstar most of what you say is right except for the mesh network. All Tado devices only communicate directly with the bridge. It’s the reason why people in bigger houses suffer from range issues.