Wi-Fi Bridge

Hi,

As I understood, the bridge is communicating over Radio frequency 868Mhz, not wifi. That is the true limitation off the bridge.

Is there any possibility to have a bridge v4 that communicate over Wi-Fi ? So people just needs CPL (Communication Power Line) in their house to extend the setup ?

Regards,

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• The 868MHz communication protocol is designed to be lower power, making it suitable for battery powered devices. WiFi uses considerably more power and would require frequent changes of batteries in each device.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭

Yes, as @GrilledCheese2 says above, I've always understood that the devices would consume more power if they ran WiFi. But, nonetheless, why can't we have mains powered repeaters running at 868Mhz . . .

• Thanks for the feedback, didn't knew about the protocol used.

There are several Wi-Fi protocols that consume less or equal battery compared to the 6LoWPAN protocol, depending on the use case and requirements. Here are a few examples:

1. Wi-Fi HaLow: This is a low-power variant of Wi-Fi that operates in the sub-GHz band and is designed for low-power IoT devices. It has a range of up to 1 kilometer and can support up to 8,191 devices per network.
    2. Zigbee: This is a low-power wireless protocol that operates on the 2.4 GHz frequency band and is designed for home automation and smart energy applications. It has a range of up to 100 meters and can support up to 65,000 devices per network.
    3. Thread: This is a low-power wireless protocol that operates on the 2.4 GHz frequency band and is designed for home automation applications. It has a range of up to 100 meters and can support up to 250 devices per network.

I would rather charge way more often my batteries than having multiples bridges (and the disturbances caused)

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    You can’t have multiple bridges on one Tado account anyway. Some form of signal extender would help a lot of posters here but i doubt anything will happen until Tado releases new hardware (if that ever happens).