How does tado work with air source heat pump

Options
So, I’ve been running my oil boiler with tado, and worked a treat. Just switched to air source and i have no idea as to whether the boiler control is now redundant, and how I need to set the thermostats on the app etc. is the system still relevant or should I scrap it?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends what Tado devices you have. If you have trvs they could be useful, not sure I bother connecting anything directly to the heat pump though.
  • hayden73
    Options
    Yes, I have TRVs, dongle, boiler control and a heating control. So based on what you are suggesting, how would anything talk to the TRVs??
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It wouldn’t. I’m not an expert on heat pumps but as I understand it they’re designed to remain on, generating a constant room temperature, rather than switching off and on like a conventional boiler. Your Tado trvs could be used to alter room temperatures by preference, though this could be equally done with dumb trvs.
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

The efficiency of a heat pump is measured by their Coefficient of Performance (COP). With a COP of 3 you're getting 3KWh of heat for every 1KWh of electricity used. Your installer should have explained to you how to maximise the COP for your home. Normally switching the heat pump on and off with a regular thermostat will reduce the COP. It seems counterintuitive to keep the heat pump running for long periods, but a high COP can outweigh the cost of heat continuously escaping the building. In contrast a gas/oil boiler will have a COP of 0.9 or less. There's no free energy to be gained, so it makes sense to turn the boiler off when heat is not required.