2 zone heating control

Options
Hi all, just installing Tado to my house, it’s a 4 bed with new oil boiler and hot water cylinder. I have separate zones for the ground floor and first floor rads (so three valves to control including hot water). I’ve had a search but can’t find a clear answer on this.
I’ve installed the starter kit V3 per instructions to control heating zone 1 and hot water, but I don’t know how to install the control for zone 2. I have purchased a “wired smart thermostat” for this, but the wiring diagram online show this wired to the boiler, not the second zone valve. There is a wiring diagram on the Tado professional installers site titled “smart thermostat, 230v relay installations” that shows what I want to do, but doesn’t match the pin outs on the kit I have.

Do I have the wrong kit, or am I looking at the wrong information? How do I control my second zone valve?

Thank you!

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m not an expert but as far as I can tell you have the right kit. Zone valves are usually controlled by smart thermostats on a relay connection. If you post a photo here of the zone valve (on the desktop version of the forum) hopefully someone should be able to explain how you wire it to the thermostat.
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd agree with @johnnyp78 that you have the correct kit assuming that you have the wireless receiver, wired smart thermostat and bridge

Your wireless receiver should be wired so the CH pins go to the zone valve for CH zone 1 and HW pins go to the HW zone valve. The smart thermostat for CH zone 1 should have the wireless receiver set as it's zone controller

You would then add the second wired smart thermostat which would be wired to the CH zone valve for zone 2.

However, I'd expect a dual zone system to have had dumb thermostats for both zones so in theory, your wired smart thermostats should replace those with the same connections

• ronan
    ronan
    edited March 12
    Options

@RichardIW @RichardIW did you ever get an answer, im finding it hard to get answers to basic questions.

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

I think that they think that this is an official Tado support forum...

For questions like the ones you had, ask Tado directly. I did so too before buying my system.

• Pete_from_tink
    edited March 13
    Options

Hi all,

I am working for tink, an official reseller of tado, and therefore I know a bit of their system.

Controlling your underfloor heating is possible with tado. It is then good to know that you need a zone valve in the pipe of the distributor of your floor heating. You can then wire this to an extra wired thermostat. If you prefer not to run a wire from the zone valve to the room with underfloor heating, you can also place a wireless temperature sensor in that room. This sensor measures the temperature and signals the thermostat connected to the zone valve when to open or close it.

Here you can find a nice overview of their possible set-ups for floor heating.

Cheers, 😁