Compatibility with Samsung Heat Pump?

Options

Hi Folks,

I just moved into a house which has an Air to Water heating system. The system is a Samsung Gen 6 heat pump with a Joule Kodiak cylinder.

I noticed that Tado don't have Samsung/Joule listed as compatible so said I'd pop a question here to check if anybody is using Tado products with a Samsung heat pump.

It's a 3 story property.

Ground Floor: Underfloor Heating with single Joule thermostat in the sitting room

1st Floor: Radiators with Joule thermostat in the master bedroom

2nd Floor: Radiators with Joule thermostat in bedroom

From my understanding - I have 3 zones with each floor being a zone. I would like to replace the existing Joule thermostats with Tado ones (one on each floor) - and also split up the heating on the 1st floor. Currently all 3 bedrooms on the floor are controlled by the thermostat in the master bedroom which is obviously not ideal. I don't want to get cooked alive in my home office if the person in the bedroom ends up getting cold.

Assuming that Tado products will work with the Samsung Heat Pump - I'm guessing my shopping list would look something like the following:

• 3x Wired Thermostats (to replace the existing thermostats)
  • 2x Wireless Thermostats (for the 2 other bedrooms that are controlled by the thermostat in the master bedroom)
  • 4x Radiator Valves (for the 2 rooms with existing thermostats and the 2 rooms which I will be adding wireless thermostats to)

Hoping somebody here might be able to advise on compatibility and also let me know if my plan makes sense!

Answers

• bruno83
    Options

HI there :D did you ever put this to work? how is it going? I got a house from Cairn and I think we use the same heat pump, but different layout though, I only have 2 zones, 1 GF and 1 on 1st floor, then 10 radiators around the house, I was thinking buying the 2x wired thermostat first, then later on I'll do the rooms, but I'm not sure if the system will be compatible with my heat pump.

thanks though.

• caspersec
    Options

Worked perfectly! and was much easier than I thought it would be.

I replaced the 3 wired joule thermostats with the tado wired thermostats. To add some additional granularity, I put Tado Smart Radiator thermostats on all of the and the combined those with Tado Wireless Temperature Sensors in the rooms that didn't have a thermostat.

Seems to be working great - and with the Tado Internet Bridge I was able to add it into HomeKit (my automation ecosystem of choice)

• bruno83
    Options

thanks :D was very helpful :D I'll get the 2 of the black ones, like that one a lot.

• Do you remember what you set in the wires? I have a joule thermostat can’t find the wire diagram.
  • caspersec
    Options

The Joule is just a branded E91 thermostat - at least in my case it was. I just selected E91 when asked what my thermostat model was and it gave me the wiring instructions.

• Qq sorry to bother you though how long n usually take to actually see the house temperature going up? I follow all the process and pressed bump and it turned up to 25 degree. That was like 30 min ago but I don’t see any difference in the temperature and the house temperature is seems to be going down
  • Stageshoot
    Options

I have an identical system, with a Joule Kodiak Tank in the Cellar,

Did you wire in Domestic Hot Water control to your Tado as well as the Central Heating, I am looking for the wiring to control that but cant find anything, I have the standard Samsung Gen 6 Wired Conroller working for DHW but would be nice to have on / off for the DHW throu Tado as well?

Any Info appreciated