Wireless control for underfloor heating

Options
FSG
FSG
Dear tado community,

I have a room with underfloor heating which currently is controlled via a manual control valve at the manifold (the manifold is located elsewhere in the building). I intend to replace the manual control valve with an electric actuator, which should be straightforward. However, since I have no cable running between the actuator and the room with the UFH, I am looking for a wireless solution to control that actuator.

A friendly tado employee via chat confirmed that a wireless temperature sensor in the room combined with a wireless receiver located next to the actuator (and wired to the actuator) should work.

In addition, I found an older thread in this forum where a tado employee named Rob suggested one could use a wireless temperature sensor in the room combined with a wired thermostat located next to the actuator (and wired to the actuator). Link to the above-mentioned thread: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/9219/support-multiple-wireless-receivers-extension-kits

So I understand there are two possible tado setups that would solve my problem: wireless temperature sensor + wireless receiver, versus wireless temperature sensor + wired thermostat. Is this correct or am I missing something? Are there any pros and cons of one option over the other?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Both will do the same job. The smart thermostat is battery powered has digital connections if you want to use it to connect to an Opentherm/ebus equipped device in future. The wireless receiver is mains powered. The uk version of the wireless receiver doesn’t have digital connections but it can control a hot water tank. The eu version has digital connections but no hot water control.

In your case I would say it comes down to whether you want something mains or battery powered.
  • FSG
    Options
    Thanks johnnyp78 for your prompt response, and for pointing out this important difference. I hadn’t realized that the wired thermostat requires batteries. Very helpful. Makes me think the sensor+receiver option is preferable.

After some further reading, I believe I found another difference between the two options: I understand that tado limits the use of wireless receivers to one receiver per bridge/account, whereas the number of wired thermostats per bridge/account is not limited. So if in the future I require wireless control of more than one actuator, I might be better served with the sensor+thermostat option…
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That’s correct, though I have read of people installing more than one wireless receiver, but it’s not officially supported.
  • FSG
    Options
    That‘s good to know, thanks! :)