Internet down and then?

Options

Hi

When I changed my boiler and the water tank. I told the installer that I wanted a controller that I can control via my phone but also directly in case the internet is down.

I now got Tado installed and the only thing I can do without using the app on the phone is using the controller to change the main temperature, turn on or off the heating and turn on or off the water (no control over the schedules). This is far less than what I can do with the app.

I have disconnected the internet and my router is still working therefore my internal wireless network is still operating (I have checked this with printing from a laptop to the printer wirelessly connected to the router and it works proving that I had not disconnected my private wireless network and only lost the internet connection) and also checked that my phone was also connected to my internal wireless network.

I was hoping Tado would work similarly, unfortunately, it seems that the app connects to the controller exclusively via the Internet.

I wish to understand. Do I need to have an internet connection in order to fully control my boiler and hot water (by fully I mean being able to change the schedules, overwrite the schedule etc...).

Thank you

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options

So, your installer didn't do their homework and have advised you incorrectly. This is not really a Tado problem so you should take this up with your installer

It is a pain that you can't control Tado from the app if you're connected to your home network and the internet is down but they're not alone in having this same issue. I also have a Warmup 4ie controlling my conservatory electric UFH and it has exactly the same issue.

For both systems, it's still possible to manually control the heating from the panel or radiator knobs in the unlikely event of an internet outage

• PegasusPJ
    PegasusPJ
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Actually I think it is a tado problem.
    There is no reason that the app should not be able to communicate with the bridge, and therefore the devices, when on the same network.

This is purely a Tado decision to make it so, and the only reason I can think they would make that decision is to force customers to be constantly monitored by them.

I did.not get an installer, I chose tado myself, but never knew that would be the case, since really there is no technical reason for that (especially if you don't want to use auto assist).

The other problem is that not only do you use access if your internet connection is down, but if Tado's servers are not accessible (whatever the reason, DOS, vpn block, etc), even if you have otherwise internet access, then you are also locked out as from what I understand, everything goes through their server)
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Well not really. Tado’s schedules are stored in the cloud, on its servers, rather than locally. The app has no record of schedules, it merely reads information from the servers. The bridge also doesn’t store any schedule information so if the app were to be reprogrammed to store local schedules, the device the app was on would need to be constantly on the same network as the bridge. Using the cloud for schedules has always been Tado’s position, for better or for worse, and it’s not something they have hidden from their customers.