Zones

Options
Hi
Can someone please help?
We have two zones to our Tado system. A thermostat downstairs and one in the boiler room. We have TRVs on all the radiators in the house (15).
The boiler installers didn’t explain how the zone systems interact with the TRVs. For example, I presume I cannot set one TRV to 24 degrees downstairs without adjusting the downstairs thermostat? How best to set up this sort of system on the app? Group them into different areas to work together? Really confused as to how effectively you can have a radiator asking for one temp but the zone thermostat it is connected to is calling for something else potentially?! Why even have TRVs?
Any help appreciated!!
Nick

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options
    When you say you have two thermostats, are they Tado thermostats?

If they’re not, you set your heating schedule as normal. The Tado trvs can’t call for heat but they can turn the radiators they are fitted to down or off, or leave the valve open, according to what temperature you’ve set that room to.

Also by two zones, do you mean you have two physical heating zones - two heating zone valves connected to the boiler?

Assuming you do and they are Tado thermostats, look at example 2. https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3481812-how-does-tado-control-a-multi-zone-radiator-heating-system

As the article says, it’s important to make sure each room is set to the correct zone controller so the trvs in each room can call for heat. Each room will need to be created on the app. https://support.tado.com/en/articles/4689126-how-does-tado-control-heating-zones-how-can-i-change-the-zone-controller-of-a-room

One tado device in each room is set as the device, which passes along the call for heat to the zone controller, which passes it to the boiler. You would probably want the thermostat in the boiler room not to be a measuring device but just a portal to call for heat from the rooms in that heating zone. Depending on where it’s placed, you may also want the downstairs thermostat not to be a measuring device.
  • NickS21
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I do have 2 zone valves connected to the boiler. The pipe work for the old system had 2 zones.
    However, I just have one wired thermostat in the boiler room (upstairs) and one wireless thermostat downstairs.
    So I make the boiler room one just a portal maybe?
    And not sure if having a wireless one downstairs affects things? Many thanks
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options
    In that case I would check what has been connected to the heating zone valves. Sounds like they might have been taken out of circuit (or left permanently open) to effectively make it a single zone house. You don’t need to make the thermostat in the boiler room a separate room on the app, you can put it in another room with another Tado device and make that the measuring device. The boiler room thermostat should be the zone controller for the whole house by the sound of it. Might be worth checking with the installers though.

The wireless temp sensor should be placed in whatever room you think is best, both physically and on the app, usually a heavily used one, and set as the measuring device.
  • NickS21
    Options
    Thanks again. Will speak to the installers