Experience having Tado on radiators in pit?

Options

Anybody has any experience with this?

In my living room, I have 2 radiators in a pit/under floor level. They currently do not have a valve at all; they're on when the heating system is on, which obviously isn't very energy friendly when I only need heating upstairs later at night.

I asked a professional to include valves so I can put 2 Tado knobs on them, but he said that isn't possible without giving me a clear reason (he's not very talkative).

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I'm not an expert.

Anyone has any experience with this, or knows why indeed it might not be a good idea?

Comments

• wateroakley
    Options

Wet heating systems usually require a ‘bypass’. The ‘bypass’ allows the pump to circulate water to dissipate excess heat in the boiler when all the rad valves turn off. This may be an internal bypass in the boiler, an external bypass on the pipework, or an unrestricted radiator. I’d suspect ‘bypass’ as one reason from your untalkative plumber.

• Nasnl
    Options

That is really a valuable tip @wateroakley ! That might indeed be a valid reason. Hmm, then I know better what to ask him next time or find someone else to help me check that out and create or use a bypass. Much appreciated!

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

I struggle to visualise your 'pit' but if it has any real depth and the 'walls' are close to where the valves will be mounted, he might, correctly, be thinking that lack of circulation (air) would make any thermo-valve very inaccurate?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m not sure about it either but you could conceivably fit a Tado trv then use a wireless temperature sensor as the measuring device. More cost though.
  • wateroakley
    Options

Temperature ‘inaccuracy’ suggested by Sam can be eliminated by the suggestion from Johnny to use a Tado wireless stat. The cost vs time faffing around with trv offset is an easy answer.