Why is my radiator thermostat not working?

Options

In our home office we have fitted a new aluminium radiator. The Tado thermostat will calibrate but won't function, manually or via the app. I've fitted it to another radiator and it works fine. I've taken another working one from elsewhere in the house, but when fitted to the office radiator, it also won't function. Any ideas anyone or is it just witchcraft?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You’re not screwing the Tado plastic base on tightly enough to the radiator or you need to use an adapter for that type of trv base. Be careful with the Tado plastic base though, you can snap it if you over tighten it.
  • bobzilla7
    Options

Gave that a try. It's working fine manually, just not via the app. It's like there's a dampening field around it. Take it off and slightly away from the radiator and the app will control it. I've tried putting a wifi node nearer it just in case that was the issue but it has made no difference.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    In that case I’m afraid it might be an issue with getting a signal from the bridge. Tado doesn’t use wifi so that won’t make any difference. You might need to experiment with moving the bridge.
  • bobzilla7
    Options

I don't use that. I use Nest. However it works fine on the other 11 thermostats in the house. Nest controls the the boiler temperature then I programme each TADO rad therm to come on at certain times to a certain temp.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you don’t use a Tado bridge then none of your Tado products will work because that’s what communicates Tado’s servers. It’s the stick like thing with three lights plugged into your router.
  • bobzilla7
    Options

Nope, they all work perfectly with the system except this one – I just manage the process on my phone. If 11 can work, then why not this one? Super odd.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Not sure you’re getting what I’m saying? The bridge isn’t in range of that particular radiator by the sound of it. If you’re not using a bridge I’m sure there’s a number of people on here with signal problems who’d like to know how you’ve managed it!