Want to replicate nest or hive with a wireless thermostat.

Options

I want to purchase Tado but am not sure if it fits the bill.

At my house I have a Nest Thermostat. It has a control unit at boiler, and then I have a freestanding wireless unit downstairs (USB powered). It connects to broadband without anything else.

At mom's we have Hive - again that has a control unit at boiler, and a battery powered portable thermostat, and then it has a small device to connect to broadband router.

Now I want to put Tado into a tenant's house which has a combi boiler, But the version I notice with two parts, the first ,i.e. the thermostat is also the controller that connects to the boiler? and then there is a stick type device (not sure what that does - Q1. What is it - is it for internet connectivity [edit- actually I think that's the internet bridge?

Q2. If it is the internet bridge, how is it powered and does it connect via RJ45 or wireless?

Q3. Do I need to purchase the "Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ Incl. Stand" which has three components to achieve what I want? and then can I just disregard hot water control as I only have a combi boiler

Hope you understand what I mean - please help.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yup, get the wireless starter kit. The bridge connects via an Ethernet cable and is powered from a USB socket. If you’re more familiar with nest you might be better off going with that, unless there’s a specific reason you want to install Tado.
  • Amster
    Options

I want to install Tado;

a) As the user interface seems polished - as is the Nest's.

b) It's a cheaper solution

So you are confirming the wireless starter kit, whilst able to also control water, can be used just to control the combi for the heating only? It's so odd, as there's more in that kit, it can do more, but it's cheaper than the thermostat/controller option.

Thanks for clarifying how the bridge is connected, RJ45 and USB for power.

Can you clarify, is the wireless thermostat then running on batteries?

Thanks.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Smart thermostats are battery powered, wireless receivers are mains powered. Either can be connected to a combi boiler.