1970-ties house heat loss

Options

Hello all,

Recently had Tado installed in my terraced house on the North East coast of Scotland (constructed in the 1970-ties) with pebbles dashed concrete blockwork, thin 5cm wall cavity void (filled with polystyrene beads), and some glass fibre insulation in the loft space (originally 25 cm) installed about 25 years ago.

Thermostatic valve graphs are informative and would like to compare my house performance to better insulated houses.

So, last night outside temperature about 5 Celsius. My night time unheated house dropped from 14 Celsius to 13 Celsius in about 1 hour.

How does that energy loss compare to other houses with Tado graphs ?

Based on this heat loss performance should I consider further financially justified improvements in improving insulation for my house ?

Answers

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

My 1870s terraced house in Wales for comparison...

5 degrees outside, dropped a degree (from 18.5 to 17.5) in about 6 hours.

(The spike mid-afternoon is when I changed the batteries in the thermostat, so had it in my hands for a couple of minutes)

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Fleur my 17th century terraced house has fairly minimal insulation (thought it does have some double glazing) and similar heat loss to yours so I’d say there’s scope for doing more if you can. Was about 4c overnight. Not much I can do here so I just have to live with it