Please can someone help!!

Options

Hi

We had a new boiler installed in our house in the summer. We also had a new Tado system installed, with 8 TRVs, 1 smart thermostat (boiler room) and 1 temperature sensor (downstairs).

I am really confused about it and the installers did not explain it properly.

Historically, there were two zones in the house, downstairs and upstairs. I was told that the house still has two zones now, with one thermostat upstairs (in the boiler room) and one downstairs (temp sensor). There are then TRVs around the house.

I was told that you can only call for heat on a radiator if the corresponding zone thermostat is calling for heat too!? So, I want to make sure a radiator is on in the sitting room, I have to also make sure the 'Downstairs' zone is on. Is that true?

Please can someone help explain the set-up! Pictures below. Thanks v much

Nick

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    What exactly is the problem here? Do you get heat in the room that you want to have heat when you increase the target temperature on the app? Is the heating coming on where you want it according to your schedule?

Tado works on rooms, so you don’t set the temperature on individual devices, you set it for the room. It doesn’t have zones. I think what the installers have told you is that the Tado devices (smart thermostat and wireless receiver) are connected to your two zone valves, which then call for heat, but if everything’s working correctly this should be irrelevant.
  • NickS21
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    But to set a room temperature, presumably I need a thermostat in each room? I can’t just set the kids playroom, say, to 24 degrees on the TRV, I need a thermostat in there too?
  • distraqt
    Options

Each TRV includes a thermostat, though not as accurate or easily operable as the wall-mounted thermostats are. Provided your room has a TRV (and whether or not it has a wall thermostat) you can set the room's temperature.